Need Help Oc e8600 plz

Matt87

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Here is my system so you have a good idea of my limits thanks in advance!

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8600 - Retail

DIAMOND 4870X2PE52GXOC Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996587

4745454b

Titan
Does anyone know what? You never said what your having problems with. If your trying to figure out where to start, stop what your doing and start reading. If you hit a wall on your overclock, tell us where you are.

Matt87

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

I listed my system, so you have idea of what my cpu can handel. I'm not sure what voltage I should set it at for the ram. Aswell my cpu busspeed, pretty much need some instructions on how to do it. Using stock fan by the way, so I don't wana go to high but at least better then 3.33ghz. Planning to buy better fan later

I been looking at the guides but im not sure what would be best for me :[

4745454b

Titan
Sorry, but I still don't see a lot of details there. It sounds like your looking to start overclocking. Sure you listed the parts of your computer, but we lack the actual vcore, current settings, desired outcome, etc. I get the feeling your new to overclocking, so my original assessment of more reading stands.

BTW, if you have the stock cooler I wouldn't touch the voltage. Voltage = heat, and the stock cooler isn't good at getting rid of that. I would tell you what steps to take, but I have no idea what you'd understand. I don't want you to blame me for blowing up your system.

Matt87

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

Yes im new to overclocking

I been reading the pages about over clocking on this forum section

but I tend to get lost after like 4-5 pages into it lol

which is why im asking for advice on how to oc it

Someone told me this and if hes right I think I understand it alot more.
So please let me know if hes correct so that I know im starting to understand thanks!

CPU Multipler - This controls the overall speed of the CPU, on non-extreme edition chips it is locked upwards, meaning we can't raise it.

Front Side Bus - This is the number we are limited to changing when our multipliers are locked.

QDR - This is the FSB x4, this is the number you'll see on newegg and such inplace of the FSB. QDR's include: 800mhz, 1066mhz, 1333mhz, and 1600mhz.

VCore - Voltage for your CPU, voltage is what increases heat, but also increases stability. If heat wasn't a problem we could pump 100volts into a chip and run it 24/7 at 50ghz...

Now that you are familiar with the terms, let's go into a bit more depth on what they do.
QDR / 4 = FSB
FSB * CPU Multiplier = CPU Speed

Since our multiplier is locked, we are limited to changing the FSB. You'll want to increase this in increments of 10 since it's your first time, and test boot / stress test after each increment.

On to your chip:

QDR: 1333mhz
FSB: 333.25
Mult: 10

333 * 10 = 3.33ghz (would you look at that? It makes sense!!!)

So, let's feed your stats into a calculator I made awhile ago and see what we can get...

GHz | QDR | FSB
3.43 | 1373 | 343.25
3.53 | 1413 | 353.25
3.63 | 1453 | 363.25
3.73 | 1493 | 373.25

That's as far as I would go with stock cooling.

This isn't really a tutorial on how to overclock, because overclocking isn't something that should be done just from following a tutorial. That's the fastest way to burn something up.

Instead, I've decided to go with the explanatory approach so that you can read through it and have a better general understanding of it, then find some tutorials or articles on overclocking and read them. Do not try to overclock unless you are confident in your knowledge. This is one of the few things in life where theory applies almost 100%, so make sure you know the theory before attempting it.

Also, remember that we are working with SDRAM (Synchronized), so unless you overclock your RAM along with your CPU, you will notice slower loading speeds because your RAM is out of sync with your CPU. Overclocking isn't all it's cracked up to be, and requires alot of time and energy to do it correctly. An overclock at 3.6ghz can be faster than an overclock at 4.00ghz, simply because to take RAM up to 1600mhz (to match your QDR) would be almost impossible, but taking it to 1440mhz is much more reasonable (still extremely hard though). DDR2 btw, DDR3 is more manageable.

4745454b

Titan
I would go as far on stock cooling as your setup allows. If you can go to 400MHz giving you a 4GHz chip, then do so. If you can only hit 350MHz, then stop there. The guide didn't mention anything about ram settings, and you only have DDR2-800 ram. You need to make sure you lock the ram at 1:1 or else it will prevent the overclock. At stock, you're already at DDR2-667, which doesn't leave a lot of room. Less if when you start you use the same divider which runs your ram at 800MHz. Lock it to 1:1, if you can hit 400MHz you will have your ram running at the speed it should be. If the CPU isn't stable at 4GHz, or the heat is to high, drop the multiplier down to 9 giving you a 3.6GHz chip. Not much of an overclock, I'd benchmark to see if it even matters with what you do.

TRENDING THREADS