Please recommend mid-grade speakers

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
Would like to get some decent speakers for my daughter's rig. Definitely do not need recording studio quality but also want something better than the cheapo-generics that I use. I think she would like a 5.1 set-up. Would like to stay under $100 if possible, but am flexible if there is an amazing deal on something that is just a tiny bit more $$ than that.
Can you recommend a set of speakers that provides good bang for the buck?
Primary use will be music.
She will also use them for some limited gaming.
And it is possible that she will watch a movie or two (but this would be infrequent).

System that they will be used with:
1. Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
2a. CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz Socket 939 89W Single-Core Processor Model ADA3800DAA4BW - OEM
2b. Heatsink/fan for the CPU: Cooler Master HyperTX2
3. Memory: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K - Retail
4a. Video card: Asus ATI Radeon HD3850 515MB 2DVI/HDCP PCI_Express
4b. Video card heatsink/fan: (just whatever the stock fan on the card is)
5. Primary hard drive: 2X Seagate ST3160023A-RK 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - Retail
6. Additional hard drive(s): Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3400633AS-RK 400GB SATA
7. Primary optical drive: NEC ND-3520A
8. Additional optical drive(s): MadDog MD-16XDVD9
9. Power supply: Antec 400W that comes with the case
10. Case: Antec SX1040BII
11. Monitor(s): Dell UltraSharp 2001FP LCD Monitor
12. Operating System: XP today (Vista tomorrow)
13. Mouse/keyboard: generic

Optional stuff
1. Memory-card reader: N/A
2. Video-capture card and/or TV-tuner card: N/A
3. Audio card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2ZS
4. Speakers: ???
5. External hard drive: N/A
6. USB flash drive: N/A
7. Headphones: None
8. Printer: N/A
9. Scanner: N/A
10. Graphics tablet: None
11. Uninterruptible Power Supply and/or surge supressor: N/A
12. Additional IDE controller: Rosewill RC-200 PCI IDE (ATA) Silicon Image RAID (0/1/0+1/JBOD) Host Controller Card

vmardegan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Just a thought for you...

If she is going to use the speakers MOSTLY for music, I personally prefer a good quality 2.1 set up instead of a 5.1.

These are some of the reasons to support my statement above, however, keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and many other people may think different (which is, of course, more than all right).

- 2.1 / 2.0 speakers delivers a closer experience to headphones/regular stereos, so I kind of have the same experience whenever I listen my music
- Listening music in 5.1 systems, much of the sound ends up going to the center channel, whereas in a 2.0/2.1 system the center channel is the exact combination of both speakers (left and right). I believe I have a better "fullness" of the sound if I have the L+R speakers playing instead of the center channel.
- I don't like to deal with the hassle of rear speaker cables in a computer system, since in most cases you don't have the right environment to put the speakers correctly in a computer desk/office room.

However, I'm not a hater of 5.1 systems at all!!! I do have two home cinemas because in this situation a 5.1 system is a must in my opinion (and for games, of course). I just think that 5.1 shines in movies and games and 2.1 are great for music.

Given your target price, below you have a good 2.1 system that would fit your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

I hope that helps a little...

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Go for the Z-2300, they'll blow you away in crispness, clarity, and bass. It's THX certified, which is a very high standard in audio. It's $90.99 dollars at Newegg with free 3 day shipping right now.

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are nice (great for music). Logitech has some decent setups too, though I find the bass somewhat boomy and the high end not as crisp compared to the Klipsch. The Z-2300 is probably logitech's best at anywhere near that price range - it actually has more power than the Klipsch, and the slight lack of clarity in the bass and highs that I mentioned is only really noticeable if you're really picky (like I am). Oh, and I'd go for a good quality 2.1 over a mediocre 5.1 any day, and you won't find a good 5.1 in that price range.