How can I save my e-mail before reinstalling

Tags:
  • Email
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 22, 2005 1:49:03 PM

Hi,

How can I save my e-mail before reinstalling? I have Outlook 2003
I have a USB drive it is my e:\ can I save it there and then put it back on
outlook 2003 when I am done reinstalling? If so what is the process for doing
this? I would also like to save my desktop icons I have about 30 of them, and
I would like to save my bookmarks (favorites)

Thank You

More about : save mail reinstalling

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:12:03 PM

I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your emails
are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any spam or
junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember those
offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and imported all
my email back in :) . I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file back.

As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand. Never
had to copy mine. Hope this helps..
--
Mara Jade

"new office 2003 user" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I save my e-mail before reinstalling? I have Outlook 2003
> I have a USB drive it is my e:\ can I save it there and then put it back on
> outlook 2003 when I am done reinstalling? If so what is the process for doing
> this? I would also like to save my desktop icons I have about 30 of them, and
> I would like to save my bookmarks (favorites)
>
> Thank You
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:56:02 PM

Thank You for your reply I will attemp to do as you instructed If it works I
will let you know. Thank You.

"Mara Jade" wrote:

> I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your emails
> are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any spam or
> junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember those
> offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and imported all
> my email back in :) . I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file back.
>
> As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
> Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand. Never
> had to copy mine. Hope this helps..
> --
> Mara Jade
>

> "new office 2003 user" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I save my e-mail before reinstalling? I have Outlook 2003
> > I have a USB drive it is my e:\ can I save it there and then put it back on
> > outlook 2003 when I am done reinstalling? If so what is the process for doing
> > this? I would also like to save my desktop icons I have about 30 of them, and
> > I would like to save my bookmarks (favorites)
> >
> > Thank You
August 22, 2005 5:31:45 PM

Mara Jade wrote:
> I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your emails
> are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any spam or
> junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember those
> offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and imported all
> my email back in :) . I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file back.
>
> As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
> Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand. Never
> had to copy mine. Hope this helps..

Another method would be to use the export function. Export as a
..pst then reimport after the install.

gls858
August 22, 2005 11:50:32 PM

Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
problems.
With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default location or
somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is off.
Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location

"new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...
> Thank You for your reply I will attemp to do as you instructed If it works
> will let you know. Thank You.
>
> "Mara Jade" wrote:
>
> > I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your
emails
> > are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any
spam or
> > junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember
those
> > offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and
imported all
> > my email back in :) . I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file
back.

> > As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
> > Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand.
Never
> > had to copy mine. Hope this helps..
> > --
> > Mara Jade
> >

> > "new office 2003 user" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How can I save my e-mail before reinstalling? I have Outlook 2003
> > > I have a USB drive it is my e:\ can I save it there and then put it
back on
> > > outlook 2003 when I am done reinstalling? If so what is the process
for doing
> > > this? I would also like to save my desktop icons I have about 30 of
them, and
> > > I would like to save my bookmarks (favorites)
> > >
> > > Thank You
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:50:33 PM

DL wrote:
> Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
> problems.
> With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
> After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default location or
> somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is off.
> Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location
>
> "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...
>
>>Thank You for your reply I will attemp to do as you instructed If it works

>>will let you know. Thank You.
>>
>>"Mara Jade" wrote:
>>

>>>I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your
>
> emails
>
>>>are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any
>
> spam or
>
>>>junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember
>
> those
>
>>>offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and
>
> imported all
>
>>>my email back in :) . I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file
>
> back.
>
>>>As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
>>>Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand.
>
> Never
>
>>>had to copy mine. Hope this helps..
>>>--
>>>Mara Jade

> back on

> for doing

> them, and

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that exporting was a problem.
I've used it several time without a hitch. Just lucky I guess :-)

gls858
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:50:33 PM

Hi,

Thank you for responding to my request. I would like to follow your
instructions but I need a detailed explanation on how to do what you are
suggesting. I am a novice but with well explained instructions I can solve
any problem, as I have many of times in these post.

Thank You
"DL" wrote:

> Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
> problems.
> With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
> After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default location or
> somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is off.
> Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location
>
> "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...
> > Thank You for your reply I will attemp to do as you instructed If it works
> > will let you know. Thank You.
> >
> > "Mara Jade" wrote:
> >
> > > I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your
> emails
> > > are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any
> spam or
> > > junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember
> those
> > > offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and
> imported all
> > > my email back in :) . I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file
> back.
> > >
> > > As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
> > > Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand.
> Never
> > > had to copy mine. Hope this helps..
> > > --
> > > Mara Jade

> back on
> for doing
> them, and

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:50:34 PM

I don't think I"d be calling it luck for me. I"ve had that succesfully work
on Office 97, 2000 and 2002 on different machines. I usually import my
inbox, then reminders then address book :) .

--
Mara Jade

"gls858" wrote:

> DL wrote:
> > Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
> > problems.
> > With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
> > After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default location or
> > somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is off.
> > Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location
> >
> > "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...
> >
> >>Thank You for your reply I will attemp to do as you instructed If it works

> >>will let you know. Thank You.

> > emails

> > spam or

> > those

> > imported all

> > back.

> > Never

> > back on

> > for doing

> > them, and

> Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that exporting was a problem.
> I've used it several time without a hitch. Just lucky I guess :-)
>
> gls858

August 23, 2005 2:11:01 AM

just check the OL ng's for problems with export/ import and the MVP thoughts
on it

"Mara Jade" <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't think I"d be calling it luck for me. I"ve had that succesfully
work
> on Office 97, 2000 and 2002 on different machines. I usually import my
> inbox, then reminders then address book :) .
>
> --
> Mara Jade
>

> "gls858" wrote:
>
> > DL wrote:
> > > Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
> > > problems.
> > > With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
> > > After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default
location or
> > > somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is
off.
> > > Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location
> > >
> > > "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote
> > > in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...

> > > emails

> > > spam or

> > > those

> > > imported all

> > > back.

> > > Never

> > > back on

> > > for doing

> > > them, and

> > Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that exporting was a problem.
> > I've used it several time without a hitch. Just lucky I guess :-)
> >
> > gls858

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:11:02 AM

DL,

Wasn't meaning to imply you were wrong..I'm just saying I've been able to
import my old data without any problems :) . Guess it's just all in the pc's
configuration :) .
--
Mara Jade

"DL" wrote:

> just check the OL ng's for problems with export/ import and the MVP thoughts
> on it
>
> "Mara Jade" <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I don't think I"d be calling it luck for me. I"ve had that succesfully
> work
> > on Office 97, 2000 and 2002 on different machines. I usually import my
> > inbox, then reminders then address book :) .
> >
> > --
> > Mara Jade

> location or
> off.

> wrote

> works

> remember

> > > Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that exporting was a problem.
> > > I've used it several time without a hitch. Just lucky I guess :-)
> > >
> > > gls858

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:46:04 AM

After reinstalling Outlook, go to File->Import and Export. Click Import from
another program or file, and then click Next. Click Personal Folder File
(.pst), and then click Next. In the File to import box, specify the path and
file name of the .pst file you want to import.
Choose one of the following:
--Replace duplicates with items exported. Existing backup data will be
overwritten with the information in the current Outlook folder.
--Allow duplicate items to be created. Existing backup data will not be
overwritten, and duplicates will be added to the existing file.
--Do not export duplicate items. Existing backup data will be kept, and the
duplicate information in the current Outlook folder will not be copied to the
file.

Follow the remaining instructions in the Import and Export Wizard
Good Luck
--
Mara Jade

!