How can I save my e-mail before reinstalling

Hi,

How can I save my e-mail before reinstalling? I have Outlook 2003
I have a USB drive it is my e:\ can I save it there and then put it back on
outlook 2003 when I am done reinstalling? If so what is the process for doing
this? I would also like to save my desktop icons I have about 30 of them, and
I would like to save my bookmarks (favorites)

Thank You
10 answers Last reply
More about save mail reinstalling

    I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your emails
    are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any spam or
    junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember those
    offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and imported all
    my email back in :). I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file back.

    As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
    Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand. Never
    had to copy mine. Hope this helps..
    --
    Mara Jade

    "new office 2003 user" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I save my e-mail before reinstalling? I have Outlook 2003
    > I have a USB drive it is my e:\ can I save it there and then put it back on
    > outlook 2003 when I am done reinstalling? If so what is the process for doing
    > this? I would also like to save my desktop icons I have about 30 of them, and
    > I would like to save my bookmarks (favorites)
    >
    > Thank You

    Thank You for your reply I will attemp to do as you instructed If it works I
    will let you know. Thank You.

    Mara Jade wrote:
    > I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your emails
    > are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any spam or
    > junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember those
    > offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and imported all
    > my email back in :). I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file back.
    >
    > As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
    > Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand. Never
    > had to copy mine. Hope this helps..

    Another method would be to use the export function. Export as a
    ..pst then reimport after the install.

    gls858

    Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
    problems.
    With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
    After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default location or
    somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is off.
    Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location

    "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...

    DL wrote:
    > Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
    > problems.
    > With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
    > After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default location or
    > somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is off.
    > Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location
    >
    > "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...
    >
    >>Thank You for your reply I will attemp to do as you instructed If it works

    >>will let you know. Thank You.
    >>
    >>"Mara Jade" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your
    >
    > emails
    >
    >>>are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any
    >
    > spam or
    >
    >>>junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember
    >
    > those
    >
    >>>offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and
    >
    > imported all
    >
    >>>my email back in :). I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file
    >
    > back.
    >
    >>>As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
    >>>Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand.
    >
    > Never
    >
    >>>had to copy mine. Hope this helps..
    >>>--
    >>>Mara Jade

    > back on

    > for doing

    > them, and

    Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that exporting was a problem.
    I've used it several time without a hitch. Just lucky I guess :-)

    gls858

    Hi,

    Thank you for responding to my request. I would like to follow your
    instructions but I need a detailed explanation on how to do what you are
    suggesting. I am a novice but with well explained instructions I can solve
    any problem, as I have many of times in these post.

    Thank You
    "DL" wrote:

    > Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
    > problems.
    > With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
    > After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default location or
    > somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is off.
    > Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location
    >
    > "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...
    > > Thank You for your reply I will attemp to do as you instructed If it works
    > > will let you know. Thank You.
    > >
    > > "Mara Jade" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have Office XP but I think the process is still the same. All your
    > emails
    > > > are in a folder called outlook.pst. Save that file. If you have any
    > spam or
    > > > junk email rules I think they're in separate text files (don't remember
    > those
    > > > offhand). When I reinstall Outlook XP, I just did an import and
    > imported all
    > > > my email back in :). I"ve never tried just copying my old pst file
    > back.
    > > >
    > > > As for your favorites, look for the favorites folder in Documents And
    > > > Settings folder. As for your desktop icons, I don't know offhand.
    > Never
    > > > had to copy mine. Hope this helps..
    > > > --
    > > > Mara Jade

    > back on
    > for doing
    > them, and

    I don't think I"d be calling it luck for me. I"ve had that succesfully work
    on Office 97, 2000 and 2002 on different machines. I usually import my
    inbox, then reminders then address book :).

    --
    Mara Jade

    "gls858" wrote:

    > DL wrote:
    > > Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
    > > problems.
    > > With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
    > > After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default location or
    > > somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is off.
    > > Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location
    > >
    > > "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > > in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...
    > >
    > >>Thank You for your reply I will attemp to do as you instructed If it works

    > >>will let you know. Thank You.

    > > emails

    > > spam or

    > > those

    > > imported all

    > > back.

    > > Never

    > > back on

    > > for doing

    > > them, and

    > Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that exporting was a problem.
    > I've used it several time without a hitch. Just lucky I guess :-)
    >
    > gls858

    just check the OL ng's for problems with export/ import and the MVP thoughts
    on it

    "Mara Jade" <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I don't think I"d be calling it luck for me. I"ve had that succesfully
    work
    > on Office 97, 2000 and 2002 on different machines. I usually import my
    > inbox, then reminders then address book :).
    >
    > --
    > Mara Jade
    >

    > "gls858" wrote:
    >
    > > DL wrote:
    > > > Niether export or import of a pst is reccommended, can cause to many
    > > > problems.
    > > > With OL closed copy your pst fil(s) to a safe location.
    > > > After reinstall or whatever, copy these files either to default
    location or
    > > > somewhere on hd.Do NOT ovrite any existing pst. Ensure read only is
    off.
    > > > Then in OL File/open/data file.....browse to location
    > > >
    > > > "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote
    > > > in message news:3D5A871F-B3DF-43DF-BDE0-1D711883C95C@microsoft.com...

    > > > emails

    > > > spam or

    > > > those

    > > > imported all

    > > > back.

    > > > Never

    > > > back on

    > > > for doing

    > > > them, and

    > > Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that exporting was a problem.
    > > I've used it several time without a hitch. Just lucky I guess :-)
    > >
    > > gls858

    DL,

    Wasn't meaning to imply you were wrong..I'm just saying I've been able to
    import my old data without any problems :). Guess it's just all in the pc's
    configuration :).
    --
    Mara Jade

    "DL" wrote:

    > just check the OL ng's for problems with export/ import and the MVP thoughts
    > on it
    >
    > "Mara Jade" <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't think I"d be calling it luck for me. I"ve had that succesfully
    > work
    > > on Office 97, 2000 and 2002 on different machines. I usually import my
    > > inbox, then reminders then address book :).
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mara Jade

    > location or
    > off.

    > wrote

    > works

    > remember

    > > > Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that exporting was a problem.
    > > > I've used it several time without a hitch. Just lucky I guess :-)
    > > >
    > > > gls858

    After reinstalling Outlook, go to File->Import and Export. Click Import from
    another program or file, and then click Next. Click Personal Folder File
    (.pst), and then click Next. In the File to import box, specify the path and
    file name of the .pst file you want to import.
    Choose one of the following:
    --Replace duplicates with items exported. Existing backup data will be
    overwritten with the information in the current Outlook folder.
    --Allow duplicate items to be created. Existing backup data will not be
    overwritten, and duplicates will be added to the existing file.
    --Do not export duplicate items. Existing backup data will be kept, and the
    duplicate information in the current Outlook folder will not be copied to the
    file.

    Follow the remaining instructions in the Import and Export Wizard
    Good Luck
    --
    Mara Jade

Email Microsoft Windows XP