Sign in with
Your question

A8N-SLI Deluxe hangs for 2 minutes at boot then fine

Last response: in Motherboards
September 13, 2008 3:30:15 PM

I've got a 4 year old ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe running 32bit XP. I have a single ATI Platinum X850 video card installed.

Just recently, at boot up, my computer has started hanging for 2 minutes at the initial motherboard boot screen (the one where it says to press delete to enter setup). Up until now, I think it's displayed this screen for 10-15 seconds before continuing.

I am unable to press the delete key or do anything else during these two minutes, but after it passes, my computer starts up perfectly fine with no errors reported.

I have not made any changes to my configuration in the past year. About the only change there has been is that my wife installed itunes yesterday... but I don't see how that could cause any issues.

Any ideas about what could be causing this hold up?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2008 3:41:55 PM

I have the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe running for years. In fact, I have two (the second is toast). Whatever you do DO NOT install SP3 on that MB! If you Google your MB and the problems associated with the installation of SP3 you will see how well the problems have been documented. I installed Vista 32 and the system runs better that it ever did with XP. Your system is apparently searching for something when it hangs like that. One other posibility is the HD may be showing it's age.
September 13, 2008 6:09:12 PM

badge said:
One other posibility is the HD may be showing it's age.

Hey good call. I just unplugged the harddrive from the motherboard and attempted to boot from a floppy. It still took two minutes. Thinking about this, I guess it makes sense as the motherboard was probably still expecting to find the harddrive. So then I plugged the harddrive back in and boom, 15 second startup as I am used to.

Not quite sure why unplugging it and replugging it in fixed it (cable getting bad maybe?) but regardless, it looks like its time to backup the old harddrive and hit newegg for a replacement. Thanks a ton for narrowing this down for me.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2008 6:24:12 PM

THat's great. Whatever you do when you get the new hard drive, DO NOT install SP3 on that MB if you are using XP. Vista 32 works great on the A8N32-SLI deluxe and bypasses all the problems you will experience with XP should you decide to ATTEMPT to install SP3. Your board is on the 'black list' at MS as far as installing SP3. Good luck.
September 13, 2008 10:26:59 PM

roger that
!