Prime 95 stable in linux 40hr+ but crashes in XP

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
See thread title, I can't understand this at all?
Within a little over an hour Prime 95 crashed on one of the 4 cores (6600 g0 oc'd to 3.15)
You may think the ram made it crash but I have tested that in memtest 86+ for 20hr+
I used Ubuntu live to support all 4 cores in testing so it wasnt a case of it passed because it was only running between all 4 cores.

Please help?

Mondoman

Splendid
Prime95 is a tougher test than is memtest86+.

Since linux and XP are different OS's, and the actual PRIME95 executables are different as well, having one crash sooner than the other is certainly possible.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Surley 40+ hours would indicate a very reasonable about of stability though and I can't see how it would be normal for it to crash in little over an hour.

Mondoman

Splendid
If it crashes at all, it's not stable. You are running two different tests, which should not be expected to be equally stressful -- no surprise that one crashes first.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
you still seem to be missing the point, your basically saying prime95 under linux is useless and means nothing which isnt true. What do you mean two different tests do you understand what I was saying?

I ran prime95 for 40 hours stable on linux
I ran prime95 under the same settings on windows and it crashed in an hour
I ran memtest AFTER this to check the ram was stable which it was.

Mondoman

Splendid
Test #1: linux+PRIME95(linux version)
Test #2: XP+PRIME95(Windows version)

The two tests are NOT the same (like apples and oranges), so just because one test works for x amount of time doesn't mean the other test will work for the same/similar amount of time. In general, linux uses fewer resources and/or uses them more efficiently than does XP, so I would in general expect the XP test to fail sooner, but it could be the other way around if linux or the linux version of PRIME95 happens to stress a system differently than the XP/windows Prime95 does.

I'm not saying anything is useless; rather I'm saying that nothing can really "prove" stability, but it's clear when a test shows a system is NOT stable.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Essencaly, your OC is stable under Linux, but not under XP is what he is telling you.

As a test, if you back your OC off a bit, does XP prime normally? If not, you could just have a corrupt XP install.