Using windows 98 themes in XP

Hi Y'all,

I've tried every search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.
I"ve got dozens of windows 98 themes (Star Wars) and want to bring them over
to my new XP Pro machine. Is this possible? Do I need to convert them to
get them to work? Many of these didn't have XP equivalents so I can't get new
ones. They're all zip files -no exes.

All help is appreciated :)
--
Mara Jade

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just unzip and try them.

"Mara Jade" <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Y'all,
>
> I've tried every search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.
> I"ve got dozens of windows 98 themes (Star Wars) and want to bring them
> over
> to my new XP Pro machine. Is this possible? Do I need to convert them to
> get them to work? Many of these didn't have XP equivalents so I can't get
> new
> ones. They're all zip files -no exes.
>
> All help is appreciated :)
> --
> Mara Jade

Hi Jerry,

I would except I haven't gotten my new machine yet :). I was just hoping
someone had done it before. All I've read so far is themes in XP aren't in
the same place the 98 and 2000 themes were (plus folder).
--
Mara Jade

"Jerry" wrote:

> Just unzip and try them.
>
> "Mara Jade" <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Y'all,
> >
> > I've tried every search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.
> > I"ve got dozens of windows 98 themes (Star Wars) and want to bring them
> > over
> > to my new XP Pro machine. Is this possible? Do I need to convert them to
> > get them to work? Many of these didn't have XP equivalents so I can't get
> > new
> > ones. They're all zip files -no exes.
> >
> > All help is appreciated :)
> > --
> > Mara Jade

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:12:02 -0700, Mara Jade
<MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Jerry,
>
>I would except I haven't gotten my new machine yet :). I was just hoping
>someone had done it before. All I've read so far is themes in XP aren't in
>the same place the 98 and 2000 themes were (plus folder).

First create a folder in the program files
Name it plus!
(Including the exclamation point)

copy the PLUS!.DLL & THEME.EXE to c:\program files\plus!
Now make a new folder called themes c:\program files\plus!\themes
copy all your themes from windows 98 se and put them in c:\program
files\plus!\themes folder.

Next you will need to know the themes dlls. There is usally two dll
for each windows 98se theme. Now put those dll in the
c:\windows\system32 folder.

Some of the screen savers may not work in xp.
Copy those to the c:\windows\system32 folder.

Greg Ro

Greg,

Copying win98's dll and theme.exe won't give me problems? I'm just
wondering if because of XP's interface, my themes won't come over correctly?

Thanks,
--
Mara Jade

"GregRo" wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:12:02 -0700, Mara Jade
> <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Jerry,
> >
> >I would except I haven't gotten my new machine yet :). I was just hoping
> >someone had done it before. All I've read so far is themes in XP aren't in
> >the same place the 98 and 2000 themes were (plus folder).
>
> First create a folder in the program files
> Name it plus!
> (Including the exclamation point)
>
> copy the PLUS!.DLL & THEME.EXE to c:\program files\plus!
> Now make a new folder called themes c:\program files\plus!\themes
> copy all your themes from windows 98 se and put them in c:\program
> files\plus!\themes folder.
>
> Next you will need to know the themes dlls. There is usally two dll
> for each windows 98se theme. Now put those dll in the
> c:\windows\system32 folder.
>
> Some of the screen savers may not work in xp.
> Copy those to the c:\windows\system32 folder.
>
> Greg Ro

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:39:05 -0700, Mara Jade
<MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Greg,
>
>Copying win98's dll and theme.exe won't give me problems? I'm just
>wondering if because of XP's interface, my themes won't come over correctly?
>
>Thanks,

I am using the underwater themes on xp system. Those dlls are
specifically for themes and not to the operating system. That's why
I said there are usually two .dlls per theme.

Greg Ro

Greg,

I don't need the included plus themes from 98. I just want to bring over
the ones I downloaded from the internet. So, if I read you right, use 98's
theme exe and not try to get mine to work with XP's interface??

Thanks
--
Mara Jade

"GregRo" wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:39:05 -0700, Mara Jade
> <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Greg,
> >
> >Copying win98's dll and theme.exe won't give me problems? I'm just
> >wondering if because of XP's interface, my themes won't come over correctly?
> >
> >Thanks,
>
> I am using the underwater themes on xp system. Those dlls are
> specifically for themes and not to the operating system. That's why
> I said there are usually two .dlls per theme.
>

> Greg Ro

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:05:02 -0700, Mara Jade
<MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Greg,
>
>I don't need the included plus themes from 98. I just want to bring over
>the ones I downloaded from the internet. So, if I read you right, use 98's
>theme exe and not try to get mine to work with XP's interface??
>
>Thanks

No that is not what I said or meant.

You said your are going to download them off the web?
Where? I just want make sure your not getting a virus.

They may already included the needed dlls.

If you are going to upgrade over windows 98. Then you won't need to
worry about the themes. Xp should keep them. After xp installs
you can change it back to the theme you like.

Greg R

All my windows 98 themes I have are currently on my windows 98 machine and I
have downloaded them over the years. I bought a new dell that has windows xp
pro. I want to use my downloaded themes on my new machine. None of them
are exes, all are zips. In the past I"ve just unzipped them to the
Plus!\Themes folder. There is no such folder setup in XP. Most of them have
no XP equivalents so I can't download new ones :(

--
Mara Jade

"GregRo" wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:05:02 -0700, Mara Jade
> <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Greg,
> >
> >I don't need the included plus themes from 98. I just want to bring over
> >the ones I downloaded from the internet. So, if I read you right, use 98's
> >theme exe and not try to get mine to work with XP's interface??
> >
> >Thanks
>
> No that is not what I said or meant.
>
> You said your are going to download them off the web?
> Where? I just want make sure your not getting a virus.
>

> They may already included the needed dlls.
>
> If you are going to upgrade over windows 98. Then you won't need to
> worry about the themes. Xp should keep them. After xp installs
> you can change it back to the theme you like.
>

> Greg R

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:37:52 -0700, Mara Jade
<MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>All my windows 98 themes I have are currently on my windows 98 machine and I
>have downloaded them over the years. I bought a new dell that has windows xp
>pro. I want to use my downloaded themes on my new machine. None of them
>are exes, all are zips. In the past I"ve just unzipped them to the
>Plus!\Themes folder. There is no such folder setup in XP. Most of them have
>no XP equivalents so I can't download new ones :(

I will try to expalin how to do this later-Unless someone else would
like to.

I am in a hurry right now.

Greg Ro

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:37:52 -0700, Mara Jade
<MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>All my windows 98 themes I have are currently on my windows 98 machine and I
>have downloaded them over the years. I bought a new dell that has windows xp
>pro. I want to use my downloaded themes on my new machine. None of them
>are exes, all are zips. In the past I"ve just unzipped them to the
>Plus!\Themes folder. There is no such folder setup in XP. Most of them have
>no XP equivalents so I can't download new ones :(

Make these folders on xp
c:\program files\plus!
C:\program files\plus!\themes

Now unzip them to the themes folder.

The themes that came with windows 98 operating system you might need
to copy those .dlls there is usually two per theme. The files would
be in the C:\windows\system folder on windows 98 machine and you would
copy those to the C:\windows\system32 folder on your xp machine.

xp will tell you what dlls are missing for each theme, when you try to
use them.

copy the c:\Program Files\plus!\PLUS!.DLL from your windows 98 machine
to c:\Program Files\plus! folder on your windows xp machine.

Good luck.

Greg Ro

Ok Greg,

I think I get you now. That makes more sense to me. Ok, creating the
directories and just unzipping them there - I can try that. So then I see
if XP will like them at all. I'm not worried about the themes that came with
98 - don't really use those.

Ok, then I can just point XP to my new folder and see what happens sounds
like. I appreciate the help - as soon as my machine gets here I will give it
a shot and post what I find.

--
Mara Jade

"GregRo" wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:37:52 -0700, Mara Jade
> <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >All my windows 98 themes I have are currently on my windows 98 machine and I
> >have downloaded them over the years. I bought a new dell that has windows xp
> >pro. I want to use my downloaded themes on my new machine. None of them
> >are exes, all are zips. In the past I"ve just unzipped them to the
> >Plus!\Themes folder. There is no such folder setup in XP. Most of them have
> >no XP equivalents so I can't download new ones :(
>

> Make these folders on xp
> c:\program files\plus!
> C:\program files\plus!\themes
>
> Now unzip them to the themes folder.
>
> The themes that came with windows 98 operating system you might need
> to copy those .dlls there is usually two per theme. The files would
> be in the C:\windows\system folder on windows 98 machine and you would
> copy those to the C:\windows\system32 folder on your xp machine.
>
> xp will tell you what dlls are missing for each theme, when you try to
> use them.
>
> copy the c:\Program Files\plus!\PLUS!.DLL from your windows 98 machine
> to c:\Program Files\plus! folder on your windows xp machine.
>

> Good luck.
>
> Greg Ro

>Ok, then I can just point XP to my new folder and see what happens sounds
>like. I appreciate the help - as soon as my machine gets here I will give it
>a shot and post what I find.

Right Click on the desktop
Choose properties
Your themes should be listed.

Greg Ro

Mara Jade,
Be prepared that some third party themes that you downloaded from the web, may not be compatible with XP, what ever you do. Especially the screensaver program for the theme. I would suggest, that if you can, go to third party sites if they are still available, and see if there is a XP version of the theme you want to transfer to XP.

Also you need to realize that the theme "settings" wizard is different in XP compared to W98. It is not as easy selecting elements of one theme and combining them with another. A lot of times you will need to do this manually.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:17:19 -0400, "RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com>
wrote:

>Mara Jade,
>Be prepared that some third party themes that you downloaded from the web,
>may not be compatible with XP, what ever you do.
>Especially the screensaver program for the theme.
>I would suggest, that if you can, go to third party sites if they are still available,
>and see if there is a XP version of the theme you want to transfer to XP.
>
>Also you need to realize that the theme "settings" wizard is different in XP compared
>to W98. It is not as easy selecting elements of one theme and combining them with another.
>A lot of times you will need to do this manually.

That's debatable. As long you put the theme is the c:\program
files\plus!\themes folder.

If the folders don't exist. Create them.

Xp should see them. It did on mine.

Greg Ro