What is this older version of crossfire on my Mobo?

MaD

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Well, when i bought my motherboard i didnt really care whether it had crossfire on it. I was flicking though the manual, and it said something about crossfire in it, so i started reading it. Aparently it has a feature in it where you have a crossfire edition graphics card, and a normal graphics card, then you link them up with a multi headed sort of dvi cable, and then its in crossfire.
Im guessing this is older, and i cant do it with my 4850, but im just checking. Would i be able to get 2 newer graphics cards on it.

My Graphics card is a 4850
My Mobo is an Asus P5K/EPU p35 chipset

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
think u can do it but if you have mix differant model cards the faster card slows to meet the specs of the other card if i remember the old crossfire sceme before crossfire X. you can have 4 gpu's (2 card dual gpu) or 2 gpu (2 single card gpu's). you won't be able to do 3 way crossfire that i know of and to be honest one of your pci slots for crossfire is only 4x and thats going to be small enough it will affect your system as a bottle neck. might just trying running one 4870x2 instead.

MaD

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I didnt get what the hell you said, but ok... Both the PCIE Slots are PCIEX16. What is all this about bottlenecking 0.o im guessing its becaues the motherboard is quite old. Anyone got a definate answer about any of this.
Obviously i can do this i probably would for a while.