Sep 14, 2008
Setup my new system last night:

Ep45-ds3r
E8500
2x2gb 1066 patriot
8800gt
Sata seagate 450gb
Data western digital 500gb

Installed mobo drivers from disc on fresh xp install. Reboot and everything is working fine. Decide to flash bios from
F7 to F9 using the @bios software. After I reboot and the initial scren loads up my system goes into a reboot cycle. No response from keyboard or anything

After a little research I find out that the @bios app is garbage but found no mention Of what to do. Any thoughts?

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Have you called Gigabyte? You're right about @bios. Windows BIOS update utilities are bad for all manufacturers...my brother used ASUS' on his mobo and they had to RMA it. You may have to send the motherboard in to Gigabyte.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Did you try to clear the CMOS?
Read your manual about how to do that. It happened to me sometimes after a Gigabyte BIOS flash and after clearing the CMOS all was OK.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Hey, did you solve your problem? I too bought the same MB. Wasted 5 hours installing everything. After I updated from F7 to F10 bios with Qflash, the MB started going into a reboot loop. I didn't wait to see how long it would last (rebooted about 3 times). I pulled the PSU plug, reinserted and it started up again fine. However, when I hit the reset button, it goes back into the reboot loop.

I don't even have an OS installed yet. It was really late last night so I'm going to go home tonight and try several things:

1) up memory voltage to the 2.1 that OCZ recommends.

2) check my PSU

3) load optimized defaults (Gigabyte says to do that after a BIOS update)

4) play around with memory (leave one stick, 2, timings, replace with another brand)

Let me know if you have any luck fixing it.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
The BIOS update was fine and it runs ok now. Turns out that it's not a reboot loop. Every time you change your bios on something big (not system time or some junk like that), it starts up, then reboots again. That's normal. However, if your overclock fails, you get an extra reboot (where it reverts back to normal settings - even if your BIOS says that you have it at your overclocked settings). This is very confusing and the manual should have made this absolutely clear. I kept pulling my plug after the third reboot (cause I thought it was a continuous loop of reboots) but it actually stops rebooting after the third. Really annoying.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
I also have a problem where if my computer has been off for awhile (a day or so), the computer starts for 5 seconds, stutters, and restarts again and then everything runs perfectly. Is this normal for you guys or is it because I'm using a water-cooled setup? I'm thinking that the water in my water block is empty after a day of non-use and the cpu is overheating in that split second before the pump kicks in. Can anyone with a normal heatsink tell me if this reboot thing is normal?