Sign in with
Your question

Vista Black Screen after installing IDE HDD

Last response: in Storage
October 28, 2009 10:55:28 AM

Hello,

Help please? I am trying to install my old IDE HDD in my new Vista PC which is SATA. There is no IDE on the motherboard, so I am using an ITE IT-8212 PCI IDE card.

Here's the story so far...

Hit the power button to turn the PC off. Installed the new PCI card. Plugged in the IDE HDD. Switched on the PC. It happened to hibernate rather than restore, and came back resuming windows rather than booting fresh. There were no problems at this stage. It detected the new card. It installed the appropriate driver (itide). It attached the drive to a spare drive letter and asked me what I wanted to do with the new device, import pictures or explore. Sounds good! Unfortunately all is not good. After a real shutdown it won't boot with any IDE HDDs connected to the new card. It boots fine with the card installed, just not if you connect anything. I've been through the BIOS and everything looks ok to me.

Bog standard Vista PC, SATA HDD running in AHCI mode set as the boot device.

Anyone with any info or suggestions much appreciated.
NTL User
a b G Storage
October 28, 2009 2:23:08 PM

It is supposed to do that unfortunately. Uninstall the card's driver, return the IDE card and get a USB enclosure. Install the drive in the enclosure and hook it up via USB.
October 28, 2009 2:25:43 PM

check the jumpers on the IDE HDD, if the ribbon cable you are using has the 3 connectors (2 for drives, 1 for board) make sure it is on the top one closest to the middle connector. and make sure that the jumpers are set to master. then, go into the bios and make sure that your boot drive is in first position in the boot order.
Related resources
October 28, 2009 2:33:03 PM

evongugg said:
Another idea would be to get one of these:

Ziotek IDE to Serial ATA Converter with Cables ZT2020258

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=466...

i agree, these things work well. used similar products in the past. can be a bit harder to set up due to the adapter, but good non the less
October 28, 2009 2:49:33 PM

lol daft, so the answer is i am screwed? ... could be!

WRT the external USB idea, yes, probably so. I considered that...
1. Cost. I have two internal IDE HDDs 300GB + 200GB and the card only cost $10.
2. Aesthetics. I don't want external devices. There is plenty of room in the case.
3. Power cables. I don't want more external power cables.

WRT the internal IDE to SATA converter ... Those things are $20 each ... and I already have the card for $10 ... I was really hoping some kind soul could tell me how to get it working. Thanks for the ideas though.

Thanks.
All replies appreciated.
October 28, 2009 2:57:08 PM

evongugg said:
It is supposed to do that ...

I can safely say it's not supposed to do that from my point of view
!