SpinRite - Bad Sectors?!

G

Hey guys i have question about spinrite and whether it maps bad sectors so windows will not write to any?

I bought a WD HDD (500gig) about 6 mths ago everything seemed fine with it until recently, i noticed that im starting to get alot of read/write errors and crc/checksum errors. i didnt start getting any errors till the drive was about 2/3 full. i decided to run spinrite (level 4) to see what was going on, its been about 65+ hrs and only 22% completed. Is it normal for it to take this long? on the status display it shows 2 U's (unrecovered) i assume those are the bad sectors so far?! Will spinrite map this bad sectors so windows will not write any data to them? i dont wanna waste all this time waiting for it to finish if i hafta run another task after..

thanks for any help!
Roy

sub mesa

Distinguished
No, it first wants to recover (read) the sectors, then will command the drive to use autonomous action to switch the bad sector for a reserve good one, and write the contents of the bad sector to there. But that can't happen until the data has been read.

To force a drive to switch bad sectors, write zeroes to the entire drive.