phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Hey guys, I've got a problem:

I'm in a dorm room with a room mate, there's no wifi access and only two ethernet jacks, and we both have computers and XBox 360s. Normally this wouldn't be an issue since I have two lan ports on my computer, but the IT guys down here won't let us bridge connections or use routers or switches, which means we're stuck swapping cables when we want to get on Live/browse the web on the PC. The ethernet jack is behind my desk, basically as inaccessible as it could possibly be, so I'm looking for a solution that would let me swap between devices without having to pull my desk out and lay on the floor to change cables.

I figured I'd drop a post and see if anybody knew of something like that, or even a way to set up a bridge or switch without them seeing it (since evidently it causes "bad things" to happen to the network. :heink: )

It should be noted that the only time I tried a bridge, they shut my jack off until I removed it.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. :D

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
No I haven't; I didn't think it'd work because I don't actually have a direct line to the internet. My computer hooks into the ethernet jack to the school network which in turn connects to the internet. Also, they use Cisco Clean Access, which might inhibit it.

At any rate, I'm off to my com sci lab which isn't too far from the IT dept. so I'll drop in and ask em. Thanks for the idea. =)

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Nope, no dice. I went and talked to IT, they said it was effectively the same as a bridge in this case, though they STILL refuse to explain how a bridge could cause mass-retardation of the network. It's beginning to sound to me like they're just a bunch of lazy bastards that don't feel like being helpful. :pfff:

Anyway, they said when they detect stuff like that they shut the originating jack down completely, and last time I had that happen they left it off for an entire weekend. I'm understandably hesitant to try it if they're saying "No" so... Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks for trying anyway though, help is always appreciated. =)

ironhide

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hmmm..you see your pc have two LAN cards.Your 1st LAN card is to be connected to the ethernet jack on the wall.The 2nd LAN will be more just likely a slave to bridge the internet on the other pc but though a proxy server which is configured on the pc software itself.I don;t think that the IT gusy would be able to see the IP address generated by the 2nd LAN card in view that it will be connected to the other pc.

ozarkamax

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
their subnetting probably only allows for so many network ips per dorm. study subnetting and start intelligent conversations with those IT guys. at the very least you will come out with a greater understanding of networking.

at the very most you helped them come up with a better subnetting solution than their current setup (and quite possibly a job).