Foxconn 661MX MoBo and Samsung 226BW resolution issues

opensky

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hello. I just put together a computer with a Foxconn 661MXPlus MoBo and a P4 3.2 GHz CPU, running XP pro. Everything is working great, except that I can't get the monitor to sync with the PC correctly. I made sure the drivers were up to date from Foxconn's site. Heres what happens:

I can select the correct resolution from within the "change your resolution" dialog box. It sets to the proper resolution (1680x1050) and the correct refresh rate (60Hz), but the monitor is somehow being set to 1280x1024 at 75Hz. The PC is hooked up via VGA. I had another PC hooked up, and it was running at the proper rez. I also have a Mac Mini hooked up to the monitor via the DVI input, and it displays as it should. There is no way to set the resolution on the Samsung manually, it just automatically adjusts to whatever you hook up. Here's the weird thing: if I mouse over to the edge of the screen, there is more of the desktop off-screen- mousing to the edge "slides" the whole desktop over to show whats there, just off screen.

I tried booting up from an Ubuntu Live Disc, and when in Ubuntu, the screen is set as it should be. This makes me think it is just a driver issue. There was a utility included with the driver that lets you set the resolution outside of the XP dialog box. It gives you a drop down of the supported resolutions, but all under a "CRT" section. There is an "LCD" section, but it is grayed out and there is no selections in the box. I have tried restarting in various combinations, disconnecting and re-connecting the cables, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

opensky

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Well, I'm not holding my breath on getting an answer to this one. I had an idea, anyone feel free to let me know if my reasoning is correct.

If its the Foxconn driver thats causing the problem, if I just get a PCI video card with a DVI and VGA out, it will have a specific driver which will more than likely support the now-common resolution of 1680x1050, right? I mean, I can spend 10 hours trying to figure out how to get this on-board video to work, or I can just spend $40 on another video card and be done with it. Is my limited knowledge of video cards and drivers leading me on the right track, or is there something else involved in displaying a proper resolution that I'm not factoring in?

Appreciate any advice on this matter.