High value of re-allocated sectors count

amardeep_sidhu

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Hi

Sometime back i purchased a new assembled PC with the following configuration:

Quad core processor with Gigabyte E45 motherboard and 1 TB seagate HDD.

last week i installed Windows XP 64 bit in C drive. Windows has been freezing occasionally and then it had to be re-set. Then i installed Win 7 in new partition. While i was installing Win 7, it said that dont install the OS on C drive as the disk may fail. So i created a new drive and installed Win 7 on that. The freezing issue was there in Win 7 also. Then i noticed that HDD was being used like anything. The HDD LED would show it really busy doing something. I installed few SMART utilities to see and it said that value of re-allocated sectors count was 3990, which was way high and this disk might fail. Now even Win 7 has started showing messages about possible failure of the disk.

I googled for it and as far as i have understood, this is a hardware thing and the disk needs to be replaced. But just to make sure is there any possibility that its not a hardware issue, i mean the disk is ok and this is the result of some partitioning or something similar ?

Any other details required, please let me know.

Thanks
Amardeep

If the drives' SMART data is showing lots of errors then it's a drive fault and it has nothing to do with partitioning or any software you're using. The only thing you could do with software is if you know *where* on the disk the errors were occurring you could create a dummy partition for the range of bad blocks and then not use it.

Personally, I'd get the data off that drive while you still can and then ditch it.

TRENDING THREADS