Sign in with
Your question

Can 4870 run on Ubuntu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2008 7:00:10 PM

Can 4870 run on Ubuntu?
My 2900pro does not run on ubuntu pretty well. The fans is extremely noisy and sometime force reload of the xorg.

Wanna know if this happen on 4870 as well ? Or else

thx

More about : 4870 run ubuntu

July 16, 2008 7:25:01 PM

ubuntu? sounds like some african country
July 16, 2008 7:28:14 PM

My 3870 works fine on Ubuntu and Xubuntu!
Related resources
July 16, 2008 7:32:00 PM

fugben said:

*rolls eyes*
July 16, 2008 7:33:53 PM

oh actually Ubuntu is a free, Debian derived Linux-based operating system, available with both community and professional support, that adds regular releases

WHO KNEW?!?!?
July 16, 2008 7:34:54 PM

ubuntu?
July 16, 2008 7:40:23 PM

Yes, it is the sickly offspring of the thoroughbred debian. Its only successful because of debians amazing package management system.
July 16, 2008 7:42:56 PM

@skittle:

Yes it is a spin off of Debian. Why are you bad mouthing it? Unless you give a reason why its "sickly" your point is moot. Please stop flaming something for the sake of flaming it.

@siuchi:
It should. You might have to wait for a new driver release to get the full feature set, or maybe a beta exists now.
July 16, 2008 7:45:29 PM

dragabain said:
@skittle:

Yes it is a spin off of Debian. Why are you bad mouthing it? Unless you give a reason why its "sickly" your point is moot. Please stop flaming something for the sake of flaming it.

@siuchi:
It should. You might have to wait for a new driver release to get the full feature set, or maybe a beta exists now.

linux fight!

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!!!! :lol: 
July 16, 2008 8:14:43 PM

Let the Linux Battle for SUPREMACY over the 4870 BEGIN!
July 16, 2008 8:21:08 PM

From my experience ATI linux drivers are horrendous. I could never get them to work right/well. If you're only running linux or do a lot of gaming on linux I'd go with a nvidia card.
July 16, 2008 8:34:33 PM

San Pedro said:
From my experience ATI linux drivers are horrendous. I could never get them to work right/well. If you're only running linux or do a lot of gaming on linux I'd go with a nvidia card.

:pfff: 
July 16, 2008 8:39:57 PM

I'm 99% sure that both Nvidia and ATI periodically release proprietary drivers for use with Linux distros. Also, there are open source versions of drivers for both Nvidia and ATI cards. How they all compare in stability and performance, I'm not sure, but I do know that proprietary drivers tend to do better performance-wise and that for advanced graphical effects you must use the proprietary drivers.

That said, if you want to run ATI cards on Ubuntu you should probably be looking for both kinds of drivers, open source and proprietary, and try out each. See which one works better for you. More than likely, the proprietary one will as it comes straight from the company and so it's tested, up to date, stable, etc. Not saying open source drivers aren't, but I would think they're not as good and take a while to get just right.
July 16, 2008 8:42:52 PM

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I've gotten every ATI card I've ever come across working fine under ubuntu. There is one exception, a FireGL-X1 and the issues I had with that I also had under windows... in fact it ran more stable under ubuntu.

If you can't get your card working you need to "lurk moar" and "learn to ubuntu".
July 16, 2008 9:09:41 PM

fugben said:
That's because it is African.

I needed to boot to the 7.10 LiveCD to move some files over from my crashed windows yesterday. Though I didn't install any drivers for it, it worked fine. No fan/heat/corruption issues.

!