HDTV as a PC Monitor

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 20, 2005 3:42:55 AM

Hi, there:

I have a Panasonic TH-50PX50U Plasma HDTV which only have input types of
S-Video, Component Video, HDMI, and RCA Video. I tried to connect my laptop
(RCA and VGA outputs only) via RCA Video, and however, I found that the
quality of the screen is not acceptable as a PC monitor.

One of the options is to use a VGA/SVGA to Component Video connector or to
use VGA/SVGA to S-Video connector. However, I do not know whether those
connectors can solve the problems of screen quality plus how to setup my
video card to work with this HDTV.

Thanks

JY

More about : hdtv monitor

September 20, 2005 1:39:39 PM

js wrote:
> Hi, there:
>
> I have a Panasonic TH-50PX50U Plasma HDTV which only have input types of
> S-Video, Component Video, HDMI, and RCA Video. I tried to connect my laptop
> (RCA and VGA outputs only) via RCA Video, and however, I found that the
> quality of the screen is not acceptable as a PC monitor.
>
> One of the options is to use a VGA/SVGA to Component Video connector or to
> use VGA/SVGA to S-Video connector. However, I do not know whether those
> connectors can solve the problems of screen quality plus how to setup my
> video card to work with this HDTV.

Doesn't Radioshack sell a VGA-->HDMI connector? I know they have one
for VGA-->DVI and I'm reasonably sure I saw one for HDMI as well. If
not, I'm sure you can find one by googling a bit.

Cheers,
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 10:39:33 PM

A Plasma monitor does not output good resolution compared to a CRT or
LCD.

CRT Monitor 24" (Sony FW900) -- 2304 x 1440
LCD Monitor 24" (Dell 2405FPW) -- 1920x1200
Plasma Monitor -- 852x768

Directview CRT set (SDTV) -- 640x480i
Enhanced Directview CRT set (EDTV) -- 640x480p
Plasma set (HDTV) 1280x720p
HD Directview CRT set (HDTV) -- 1280x720p , 1280x1080i
LCD set (HDTV) -- 1280x720p, 1280x1080i
DLP set (HDTV) -- 1280x1080p
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 3:41:39 AM

<tragickingdom@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A Plasma monitor does not output good resolution compared to a CRT or
> LCD.
>
> CRT Monitor 24" (Sony FW900) -- 2304 x 1440
> LCD Monitor 24" (Dell 2405FPW) -- 1920x1200
> Plasma Monitor -- 852x768
>
> Directview CRT set (SDTV) -- 640x480i
> Enhanced Directview CRT set (EDTV) -- 640x480p
> Plasma set (HDTV) 1280x720p
> HD Directview CRT set (HDTV) -- 1280x720p , 1280x1080i
> LCD set (HDTV) -- 1280x720p, 1280x1080i
> DLP set (HDTV) -- 1280x1080p

To get 1280 horizontal resolution from a plasma set, it has to be at least
50". I think this is a physical limit due to the minimum pixel size. Also,
the smaller sets do not have square pixels.

Tam
!