I7 Overclock issues

SmAcKtArD

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I've got a few queries about my i7 920. I'm not really happy with the temps it's producing at the voltages being used, below is a rough BIOS spec.

These are the OC specs @ 3.66GHz:

Blck: 183
Multiplier: 20
CPU core voltage: 1.30
QPI voltage: 1.30
CPU PLL: 1.88
Mem: 1523MHz (something along those lines, its 1066MHz but OC with 183 Blck)
Uncore: x16
DRAM voltage: 1.66

Load-line: Enabled
CPU amplitude: 800mv
CPU spread spectrum: Disabled
PCI-e spread spectrum: Disabled

I think that's most of the important stuff, if I've missed anything else that might give more clues, let me know.

ATM, I am running Prime95@81,80,81,78. It seems to be stable but I'm not massively happy with the temps tbh, especially with only running at 1.30v. Lowering the core voltage below 1.30v causes a BSOD within 5-10 mins @ 3.66GHz.

Am I missing something here? I have re-applied AS5 twice and the temps are pretty much identical to each other.

I am using an Akasa Nero 967 Heatsink with the provided fan.

I am at my wits end, I have been tweaking for days to try and get a good temp, 3.66GHz is plenty enough but at 81c, it's HOT!! Going above 3.66GHz requires atleast 1.35v on core to POST but temps get ridiculously hot at say 3.8GHz and isn't even fully stable.

Ambient temp for the room is roughly 23c, and I am using a C0/C1 revision chip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Grnkjr0

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I think those temperatures are normal when under load running Prime95. The reason being you have a C0/C1 chip and that cooler is not among the best on the market. It also depends on what case you have and have good your airflow is within it and whether your graphics card is creating a lot of heat and the room temperature of course. Read some reviews on coolers - cheapest choice is a Scythe Mugen 2. that one is among the best and very cheap - you need a big case though - read up on that.