What are some good budget PC cases?

vaylie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
So, I've bought every component I need to build my PC except the case, and I'm looking for suggestions on PC cases, and what to look for. My budget is about $70 (including shipping), so I can't go for the more expensive cases, unfortunately. I can buy either from newegg (so have to account for shipping costs), or pick up the case in-store at microcenter.

My Build So Far:
- OCZ 600W StealthXStream PSU
- MSI Radeon HD 4850
- Asus P5Q Pro
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

One question first:

About airflow - Most cases I see have a rear exhaust fan. So, what's the difference in airflow between cases with front intake fans, side fans and top fans? Are any of these superior solutions or does it depend on the rest of your setup?

Another thing - how do I know which cases have airflow that work well with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro? For example, where do I point the fan on the ACF7 for front fans/side fans/top fan setups? I was considering some of the Rosewill cases on newegg, but some people reported problems with lining up the ACF7 with the vents. Is this a big issue with some of the cases?

Finally, aside from having everything fit properly, another requirement I have is the PSU Location - I'd really like a case that doesn't have the PSU on the bottom since that usually presents cabling problems. For example, reviews on the PSU I have already suggest cables are too short for the Antec P180/P182, so I'd rather not take any chances.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for decent cases that won't break the bank? Anyone with a similar setup to mine who can offer any suggestions? Looks-wise, as long as it doesn't resemble a brightly lit UFO in the room, I'm good with it. I may consider upping my budget if my demands are a bit too much, but I really can't afford to shell out too much for the case. Definitely can't afford anything over $90-100.

Just think of airflow as a stream through your case. You want that stream to cross all your important parts to be cooled.

If there are additions to the stream or subtractions, they should not interrupt the main stream from it's flow.

The Antec 300 should meet your needs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&Tpk=Antec%2b300

If you don't like that:
This will work with your build as long as you install another fan in the front.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146041

theTHiiiNG

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
A case is just a big piece of metal and plastic that houses all your important stuff really.

One thing I can recommend is a case with a dust filter at the front, as it keeps all your stuff nice and dust free.

You should usually point your cpu cooler fan to the rear of your case which will line up with the rear vent. Some people do point it upwards if the case has a top mounted fan however.

Just choose something that looks good to you, and has good reviews on newegg.

vaylie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm staying away from all Antec cases because they have a bottom-mounted PSU design, and the PSU I purchased doesn't have cables long enough to accomodate that design.

I think I've decided on this Rosewill R5601-BK case with front intake fan, rear exhaust fan, and filters. Looks like the people complaining about the air flow not working with the ACF7 were likely referring to the side air duct, which I'm guessing should be safe to remove?

Another n00b question: Is there any way to find out if the ATI Radeon 4850 card will fit into the case just by its dimensions? I haven't seen too many reviews mentioning fitting this card in and I know it's pretty large.

That Rosewill case is no longer made. Take another look at the Newegg page and you will see a comment that the case is a deactivated item. Hope you have another source at a good price.

I took a quick look at the user reviews for the psu as I was curious about your comment that the psu cables were too short for a bottom mount psu. Sure enough, there were quite a few comments about the smaller motherboard power cable being too short. There is a very easy solution. You can get an extension cable for a couple of dollars. That's what I did. I was able to route the cable behind the motherboard tray so that it was hidden from view.

If you can spend a couple of bucks for the extension cable, then you might want to consider a better case like the Antec 300 that was suggested.

OOPS! I forgot your other questions.

The general rule of thumb for airflow is bottom front to top rear. It's sort of like a wind tunnel. That's also one of several reasons for a bottom mount psu. It allows for an exhaust fan at the top rear.

Extras items like dust filters, fan grills, doors, and other parts impede air flow. The manufacturers specifications for cfm are for unrestricted airflow. If the fan has a grill and a dust filter the cfm are severly reduced. I have seen configurations where aireflow is restricted by as much as 80%.

As someone has already pointed out the cpu heatsink is usually oriented so that the heatsink fan pushes the hot air toward the exhaust fan at the rear of the case. It could also be oriented so that pushes air up toward an exhaust fan mounted in the top panel.

My personal favorite for a mid-tower case is the Coolermaster Centurion 590 available for $59.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152

I built 4 pc's for friends and a girlfriend using that case. I did add a second 4 in 3 drive bay with 120mm fan in each one to improve ariflow.