deihl54

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
ok, I have recently started building my new PC. I am building it purely for gaming, so cooling is quite a bid deal.
I have got a Q9450 and to cool it i have puchased a Zalman 9700 LED. I mounted it with little trouble (although, I had a friends help). I put on the brackets, made sure they were nice and tight, applied a thin layer of Thermal Paste and after 2 attempts had it mounted quite tightly on its frame.

However, after a short while i noticed that the 9700 could be twisted ever so slightly on its base. Which i know is normal for the 9700, but twisting in turn will move the thermal paste. I have only twisted it a little bit back and forth and it has not been started yet as i am waiting on parts but could this slight twisting motion and movement of the thermal paste have destroyed its cooling properties and efficiency?

Will it be ok if i leave it alone and take care not to turn or twist it anymore or will i have to remove everything from my case and reapply the thermal paste and remount the cooler?(which is obviously not something i want to be doing...again...) :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I doubt it hurt anything. Check your temps to see - I'd start to worry if it's idling above about 35c, or full load over about 50-55 at stock clocks (these numbers are a bit on the high side too).

Murq

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
cjl would those temps be tcase or tjmax?
I'm cutting in here just because on my q9550 the tcase temp is under 30'C idle, while the core temps are all over (30-60'C depending on the core and measuring software). So I've been wondering if this is because the thermal grease hasn't spread correctly...

deihl54

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Ok, cool thanks for the fast reply cjl.

I really hope that this isnt a big deal like i am dreading, i am hoping because thermal paste kind of dries out and becomes almost powdery that the thermal properties wont be impaired.

EDIT: Well not really "Dries Out" but you get what i mean.

But any more facts, opinions and the like would be much appreciated.
Keep 'em coming! :)

curryj02

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
there is only one real way you can be 100% certain that you aren't getting the best thermal performance... and thats turning the computer on, pressure testing and taking readings of temperatures. then taking it apart, reapplying the thermal paste, pressure testing and taking readings of temperatures. at the end of the day, if you get the OC you want without taking it apart, then why bother?

deihl54

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Yeah i would love to do this but i dont have that luxury at the moment.
I am still waiting on my XFX GTX 280 XXX before i can start my PC. (790i mobo has no onboard video).
I just wanted to get an idea and make sure before I turn it on and possibly fry my CPU lol.

It's hard to say which software is right, but it's almost definitely a software issue, not a thermal grease issue. Wait until Intel releases the thermal details of the 45nm (they are set to release them pretty soon), and then you should be able to get an accurate reading.