Sign in with
Your question

"Mouse" lag in game

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2008 3:46:31 AM

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but since it has to do with 3d gaming performance, and given that this forum receives the most attention, I decided to post here - relocate if required.

My system (currently) is as follows:

Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512 755/1055
AMD Athlon 64X2 6000+ 3.18ghz
Gigabyte AMD 690G HDMI ATX motherboard
Lian Li PC61 Case
3gb DDR2 667
Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000

Plugged into USB: Webcam & Blue tooth adapter.

While playing games, I get decreased responsiveness from my mouse. It's very choppy, and if I move it around, it'll go very slow and then speed up and complete the whole motion much more quickly than I did it.

At first I thought this was GPU lag, but I'm starting to think it might not be. The last game I played was Sins of a Solar Empire, and the ships all move smoothly, but the mouse is just horrible.

I'm not sure what's causing this performance dip: the CPU, the RAM, the GPU, or the mouse itself. If anyone can lend any insight, that would be great.

Also: I just upgraded from 2gb to 3gb of RAM, and I still felt the same issue.

More about : mouse lag game

a c 365 U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 4:02:35 AM

The problem is the wireless mouse itself. It is pretty typical of all wireless mice and some experience this issue more often than others.

My suggestion is to borrow a wired mouse to see if you are getting the same problem. Borrow one from work if necessary, just remember to bring it back.
a c 116 U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 4:04:06 AM

EDIT------jaguarskx beat me to it

I would try a wired mouse. Some times a wireless mouse runs less reports per second(most mice are 125, gaming mice go up to 1000.) and will feel less smooth with lower reports/sec.

If you want to try to check your mouse's reports per second you can use this app, its old, but works with all current operating systems

http://tscherwitschke.de/download.html

I have first hand experience with a Bluetooth mouse loosing contact then all the sudden running the motion almost a second too late(so it would not be un smooth just delayed).

If you have Vsync on turn it off(some users report input lag with this on, but with it off you will get page tearing) and if its off try to turn it on.

Triple buffering is another option to try if you want to use vsync and the game is based on open GL
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 4:14:13 AM

Ditto above.

Very few wireless mice are up to the task of truly feeling smooth and instant in games. I have the G7 and love it, but it is the exception rather than the rule.
July 17, 2008 4:21:58 AM

Yeah. Mine runs at around 150-190, according to the app. It looks like I'll have to get a gaming mouse on top of my entertainment mouse. Alright, thanks guys. I appreciate it.
a c 116 U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 4:26:44 AM

150-190(unless you are getting a lot of dropping) should be ok for most users, Borrow a mouse before replacing it. There still may be something else causing it.

The MX 700 was also a good wireless mouse(before its base started to drop connection). I can not use 2.4 here, too much interference.

You run vista? try some of the compatibility options(turn off aero and such to see if it helps)
July 17, 2008 4:47:28 AM

Is what it's running at, and I just tried using a normal USB mouse, and it worked fine. I would use it, but the scroll on it is messed up, which is an important asset in Sins.

edit: and no, I'm running Windows XP SP3.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 5:01:12 AM

While not phenomenal, that should definitely be enough for it to at least feel smooth. Mine normally runs at 500 reports per second (400-500 reported by that app), but if I manually turn it down to 125 (reported as 100-130 in that app), it still feels smooth, including in games. Seems like something else is going on.
July 17, 2008 6:57:55 AM

Ive not used a wireless mouse in years, but is it possible that the mouse or receiver is getting some interference or a less than perfect reception, causing it to "drop" signals and then play catchup?

Id probably be trying to place the receiver and mouse further away from possible sources of interference (including the birds nest of wires at the back and any monitors (especially crt).

Just a thought, as Ive said Ive not used a wireless mouse in years and then only for a day before the batteries died and I realised what a joke it would be keeping up with battery replacement) I am completely out of date with how they work.
July 17, 2008 7:07:49 AM

Well, I got it to happen while streaming a video, and the mouse speed was actually -higher- while it was lagging. Like 190hz. Weird.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 7:33:09 AM

Although higly unlikely that this is the problem, you could use the nvidia control panel to globally decrease maximum pre-rendered frames and see if it helps. I doubt it will help, but I thought I'd throw out an option anyway.
July 17, 2008 7:36:35 AM

are you running xfire?
is so, turn it off
also turn off vsync and lower AA

see if any of that makes a difference
July 17, 2008 2:23:19 PM

Hi Dalynx:

I have a Logitech MX1000, which I love. However, I was getting the exact same symptoms as you. Keep in mind mine is USB-based, but I had to buy a 2M USB cable extension, and run it all the way up to my mouse pad so that I could plug the USB receiver in to within 6 inches of the mouse. This solved the problem.

However, as for gaming, there is supposedly additional lag inherent in a wireless design (so said my gaming buddies, who ironically were electrical engineers who specialized in bluetooth/wireless technology). As a devoted paranoid gamer, I had to eventually buy a "gaming" grade mouse--the Logitech MX518. In all honesty, I don't see any difference in movement--in fact that mousetest program gave me identical speeds (~120 mH) for both mice. However, the corded mouse allowed faster button command speeds. In other words, I can "fire" faster in FPS games, whereas the wireless mouse has a pause inherent between shots.

Since I still love the old mouse, and still hate cords, I end up using the cordless mouse throughout the day, and then the corded one specifically for gaming.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
a c 116 U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 3:03:54 PM

Your MX 518(i am not sure about the old ones, but the 2 i have do work at 500) will do 500mhz(reports/sec) if you have the windows usb driver modded.

My default XP caps at 125hmz, The port it self will do upto 1000(at the cost of higher cpu usage)

Not saying to go do it, but for me it made gaming smoother.

Dalyinx, i think software must have unlocked yours.

So you said with the wired mouse you had no lag? if so, try as said above, get your bluetooth adapter away from the computer with a extension and higher is better. Also keep it away from cordless phones bases if they are 2.4ghz.
July 17, 2008 3:26:44 PM

I have a MX Revolution and had some similar issues. I use a powered USB hub on my desktop to help with the problem. However its still not perfect. I keep a MX518 hooked up for FPS and MMO's, and keep the Revolution for less intensive things like RTS and general web browsing as I think the Revolution is much better suited for those things.

I have also had some problems with my Nostromo N52 running complex macros that are on a specific timer on one of my older PCs. Something to the effect of press buttons 1,2,3,4 wait 6.5 seconds, recycle. I assumed it was a USB issue as it seemed to increase as whatever game I was playing became more processor intensive, and just increased the delay timer to combat it. Lazy me. I have a N52TE, but unfortunately it isnt nearly as nice a device as the original N52. But I have noticed that it doesnt experience USB lag like my old one. Too bad the drivers and interface for it really blow.
a c 116 U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 3:49:20 PM

Kaldor said:
I have a MX Revolution and had some similar issues. I use a powered USB hub on my desktop to help with the problem.
I knew i forgot something, my switching usb hub would decrease the normal 125 to 80, that felt jumpy.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 4:36:59 PM

husky mctarflash said:
Hi Dalynx:

I have a Logitech MX1000, which I love. However, I was getting the exact same symptoms as you. Keep in mind mine is USB-based, but I had to buy a 2M USB cable extension, and run it all the way up to my mouse pad so that I could plug the USB receiver in to within 6 inches of the mouse. This solved the problem.

However, as for gaming, there is supposedly additional lag inherent in a wireless design (so said my gaming buddies, who ironically were electrical engineers who specialized in bluetooth/wireless technology). As a devoted paranoid gamer, I had to eventually buy a "gaming" grade mouse--the Logitech MX518. In all honesty, I don't see any difference in movement--in fact that mousetest program gave me identical speeds (~120 mH) for both mice. However, the corded mouse allowed faster button command speeds. In other words, I can "fire" faster in FPS games, whereas the wireless mouse has a pause inherent between shots.

Since I still love the old mouse, and still hate cords, I end up using the cordless mouse throughout the day, and then the corded one specifically for gaming.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Having used both gaming grade wired mice (G5, G9), and my current gaming wireless G7, I will say there is absolutely no lag in a good wireless mouse (the thing eats batteries though - good thing it's rechargeable).
a c 116 U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 6:15:17 PM

The lag is more dependent of other outside interference too. Very few 2.4Ghz items work where my computer is.so even a gaming grade mouse would not, there is just too much interference.

Gamepad. Lag
Bluetooth mouse. Lag
Most wireless routers. Lag
2.4Ghz Phone,. S-k---i----p-----y--y--y---

Yet the same items work in different locations.

Only 27mhz(and 1.9Ghz[DECT 6.0] for my phone) seems to work well. I did not find any noticeable lag with it, but once you go corded(and they way i have the cord it does not pull) for a bit the lower reports start to hurt(for me at least)
July 18, 2008 5:12:25 AM

nukemaster said:
I knew i forgot something, my switching usb hub would decrease the normal 125 to 80, that felt jumpy.

Yeah, when I put the receiver directly plugged into a powered usb hub, alot of my issues went away. I think it was a combo of reciever being 4 feet away, next to wireless router, and a bunch of other electronics, not enough signal strength and wireless just sucking as a whole. Its still not great for FPS, but I can and do use my MX Revo for AoC, Lotro, and DAOC. But it isnt fast enough for a FPS like COD4, anything where you really have to be fast and accurate.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2008 9:18:26 AM

cjl said:
(the thing eats batteries though - good thing it's rechargeable).

It's not that the G7 is power hungry, it's that the batteries are meant to be lightweight and so they don't last long.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2008 11:38:03 PM

Could be a combination of both. It can't be light on the power with 500 reports/sec and enough power for at least double the range of a standard wireless.
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2008 5:44:12 AM

And yet it still "skips" on me :( 
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2008 5:48:57 AM

I really don't know. From everything you've said and reported, it should be fine.

!