30" lcd vs 82" samsung large format display monitor

ykyagami

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
so, they said projector isn't a good choice for gaming especially sold with a freaking high price.. then which sould i use for a big screen gaming? honestly, 30" is not bog enough for me.. but i wonder which has a better visual effect when playing games like crysis,unreal t 3 & assasin creed when using 30" monitor at 2560x1600 and 82" samsung monitor at 1080i?? and is it really expensive to replace the bulb of a high end projector??

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
LMFAO are you serious ???

a 22" LCD would have a better picture quality then the 82" samsung at 1080i

god at 82" the picture would look like total crap.

really is this even a serious question ?

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
The image quality you see will be BETTER when you're fitting MORE pixels in a SMALLER space. Because of this, having 2560 x 1600 (approx 4.1 million pixels) in a 30" screen will looks very nice, whereas 1920 x 1080 (approx 2.1 million pixels) in a 82" screen won't look as great, especially with a game. Also you have to consider that with the 30" monitor, the full 2560 x 1600 screen is refreshed every time, whereas with a monitor/TV using 1080i will refresh half the screen in one click and the other half in the click after, going back and forth.

For watching something like a moving, I guess the 82" monitor would be ok, although with something that big you'd expect 1080p (where the full screen is refreshed each click), but for gaming it'd be pretty poor because everything would look blocky (very large pixels).

I suppose the best way to explain this is that a pixel is your basic element on a screen (in case you didn't already know this) and it is a tiny square of color. The smaller this tiny square of color, the more you can fit on a screen. And the more you fit on a screen, the higher your resolution. And the higher your resolution, the better your picture because everything looks smoother from having a fine building block making up all your images. Go ahead and make a 2D image of a face, limiting yourself to the space of a 30". Make the image using large Duplex blocks, and again with small Lego bricks, then tell me which one looks better.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Now lets not make it sound like projectors are total crap. When set up properly, calibrated and displayed in a very dark room, they look stunning. My Infocus 4805, while just 480p, gives as good a picture as my parents LCD. The extra you get with a projector is a move-like atmosphere (if you find that to be a plus) and a HUGE picture, which should not get discredited. 1080p resolution at 82" isn't unusual. At a normal viewing distance, it'll look awesome.

ykyagami, don't buy into the argument that an 82" picture will look blocky. It won't, as long as you're not five feet in front of a 6.8 foot screen. When you sit at a normal viewing distance, you will not notice any pixels. I notice some pixels on my 64" screen, but only when I'm less than 1.5x (the screen width) away and I only have 480p resolution.

Also remember that image quality doesn't just come down to resolution. Contrast and color reproduction are also important. LCD's definitely fall short in the contrast department.

That said, yeah, a decent 1080p projector isn't real cheap, but neither is a 30" LCD monitor. Also, with a projector, you must consider placement of the unit as well as possibly a screen, unless you just want to paint the wall. Bulbs are commonly hundreds of dollars, but should last for a long time (IE: over a thousand hours, typically, sometimes more, sometimes less).

I guess my point is you need to determine how important screen size is. While the resolution on my (smallish) 64" projector screen wasn't as good as my brother's 17" LCD, always came over to play his computer games on the screen with my home theater surround setup. The audio, as well as HUGE gaming picture made the gaming that much more enjoyable.

Determine how important screen size is for you. If it's worth any extra money and a little more elbow grease in setup, go for it. If you have the room (remember your sitting distance from the screen should be 2-2.5 times the screen width) for a large screen and decent viewing distance, cool.

Play a game like Battlefield 2 and look at your teammates as they walk by you, literally three feet+ in height on your screen. Tell me your LCD is as immersive. :)

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
hmmm. 30" monitor or 82" monitor, what a **** moron, I can't believe you guys are wasting time with legitimate responses. 82 inches, sure, go for it. Will you be putting it on the moon so you can play in your back yard?

Should I get a sony psp, or a drive in movie theatre for best gaming enjoyment? Perhaps I'll hire actors to play out the game on a stage for added reality. Mario's Pixel head will look super square on my sweet sweet NES run through an 82" monitor.

**** off retard

pauldh

Illustrious
at 82" the picture would look like total crap

I'm surprised by the harsh criticism. It's not like a blueray disc on a 1080p projector provide lousy worthless movie watching.

Projector gaming can be a total blast given the right game. Flight sims and racing games are especially fun on a projector. Put a playseats racing seat and Logitech G25 in front of a 1080p protector, and the racing is a blast. I've enjoyed it at 1280x1024 on a 100" screen. Shoot, we even play our wii hooked up to one, and that's just 480P. Now, I will say that it is not for daily use though. I would want a daily use monitor for other tasks and games too as a monster screen and dark room would be downright annoying all the time.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Money isnt an issue and space isnt an issue, what you want is 3 displays and a good switcher box,

You want a nice non TN LCD for desktop use something 24" ideally. I find a non TN LCD panel great for desktop use where a CRT at high resolution may be less "clear" the natural large pixels and low pixel density of a LCD do make for easy to read desktops at native resolution.

Secondly you want a CRT monitor with a 0.22 or lower dot pitch and a refresh rate ABOVE 60z at maximum resolution, this is your primary image quality monitor No LCD screen or projector will give as good a picture as a high end CRT, this will give the smallest possible pixels the sharpest image and best colour, This is great for playing games where you have to keep an eye on stats, its convenient for easy gaming witha beautiful picture, especially in games where the big screen becomes more of a problem than a help.

Third a nice 1080 projector this is your big screen for games that suit the big screen and for movies. You will soon figure out what games you like to play and how once you have all the options available to you.

I do love the big screen for driving games but hate it for mmorpgs, total counter productive overkill, I HAVE a projector in my living room I still love many games on the CRT instead! I also have a full bucket seat pedal and wheels set up for driving games now the only way to use that is in front of a BIG screen :lol:

Forget the CRT, and bump the LCD up to a 30" S-IPS, like the newest Dell Ultrasharps. Say what you will about image quality, no CRT I have ever seen can match the high end LCDs for color, sharpness, or clarity.

tanviper

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Wow, dont you think you're being a bit rude for calling him names and jumping down his back for a simple question?? It's a vaild one regardless if you like it or not. He may not have your experience or knowledge. To chastise him for it speaks way more about you then his question does about him.

UberGenocide

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

^+1

That was one of the worst posts ive ever read

It is a legit question so leave him alone

As for me, i would get the 30 inch, more pixels in a tighter space, itd be a great picture for games and movies

Uber :D

Aussie

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
to add to his question....

Can you use a HD projector at 30 or 40" and get even better pixel quality??

I ask as am thinking (with semi open budget, depending on how good it is) of using two HD projectors on a curved screen as an eyefinity setup for bezelless eyefinity resolutions......

I understand that 30" IPS would look best, but from a slightly futher viewing angle what is others thoughts or experinces with having:

1) eyefinity projetor set up

2) having smaller than normal projector setups (82" screen at 30"), seen as with projectors I belive (correct me if I am wrong) that you can simply bring the projector closer to the screen to minimse the image and maximse the pixel density??

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
An important thing to think about is the setup you'll be using the display in. A 30" monitor (really the biggest computer monitors come in before you stray into TV territory) is perfect for a traditional "computer desk" setup. I use an HP 30" display and really enjoy it. Keep in mind if you have a smaller space and the screen sits close to your chair, it can almost be too big.

The projector would be great for a seteup where you're sitting in a position like you would to watch tv (sitting 8-10 feet or more from where the image is projected).

Personally i think that a 30" high res display is impossible to beat for general PC gaming, but it really depends on what situation you're interested in.

Aussie

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008

Im really interested in the highres eyefinity I guess and dont want a bezel, also I love the look of those rounded projector screens (for full emersion), and was hoping to get a slightly more smaller scale projuector so I could still be in the office space but maybe sit a bit futher away from the screen, say a meter (something inbetween 30inch desktop monitor and large projector screen) if that makes sense.

Its to do with emersion. clarity pixels and eyes. Sitting so close to a monitor all the time has seriously reduced my long vision, every little bit I sit futher away from the screen helps, but I am limited on space to have a whole wall for eyefinity projection....