Combat challenge ratings

What is the challenge rating of NPCs and animals based on? Just about every
large animal cons red to me, and I'm told "this will slaughter you!" Well,
swooper gangs now con white-to-yellow and I tend to regard 3:1 odds against
me as an even fight. In Marksman I'm about 85% up Rifle, 80% up Pistol, 60%
in Carbine, and 50-65% in the last column; what does this make MY challenge
rating?

"Tom Carman" <Tom_Carman@compuserve.com> wrote in

> What is the challenge rating of NPCs and animals based on? Just about
> every large animal cons red to me, and I'm told "this will slaughter
> you!" Well, swooper gangs now con white-to-yellow and I tend to
> regard 3:1 odds against me as an even fight. In Marksman I'm about
> 85% up Rifle, 80% up Pistol, 60% in Carbine, and 50-65% in the last
> column; what does this make MY challenge rating?

Your rating depends on skill level and weapon in hand. Go to mission
terminal on a starting planet, have your weapon unholstered, select one
of the high paying missions, see what mission level is listed at the
bottom of mission details (but above the story). That's approximately
your rating.

Now, it is known that this is broken. Some white cons give me tough time
fighting them, and I can easily handle some red cons.

Generally, your success depends on how good your weapon is (con system
does not seem to know if it was sliced or not) and whether the
creature/NPC is vulnerable to a particular damage type or has resists to
it. You can use your own tactics versus creature/NPC (some NPCs use
tactics against you by hitting your weakest pool in HAM). You can defeat
red cons by pulling them one-by-one, kiting, applying state effects
(scout traps on creatures), using warning shot or suppression fire (you
are getting these in 3rd and 4th boxes of Marksman Ranged Support
respectively), etc.

Xael

Farrell

On 06/05/2004 22:31, Alexei Boukirev wrote:
> "Tom Carman" <Tom_Carman@compuserve.com> wrote in
>

>>What is the challenge rating of NPCs and animals based on? Just about
>>every large animal cons red to me, and I'm told "this will slaughter
>>you!" Well, swooper gangs now con white-to-yellow and I tend to
>>regard 3:1 odds against me as an even fight. In Marksman I'm about
>>85% up Rifle, 80% up Pistol, 60% in Carbine, and 50-65% in the last
>>column; what does this make MY challenge rating?
>

> Your rating depends on skill level and weapon in hand.

And what armour you have on, IIRC
It;s all based on how you'd fair in an even fight

--
Capt
Nilan - n00b in Sunrunner

"Farrell" <ask_in_the_newsgroupo@tfhl.net> wrote in message
> On 06/05/2004 22:31, Alexei Boukirev wrote:
> > "Tom Carman" <Tom_Carman@compuserve.com> wrote in
> >

> >>What is the challenge rating of NPCs and animals based on? Just about
> >>every large animal cons red to me, and I'm told "this will slaughter
> >>you!" Well, swooper gangs now con white-to-yellow and I tend to
> >>regard 3:1 odds against me as an even fight. In Marksman I'm about
> >>85% up Rifle, 80% up Pistol, 60% in Carbine, and 50-65% in the last
> >>column; what does this make MY challenge rating?
> >

> > Your rating depends on skill level and weapon in hand.
>
> And what armour you have on, IIRC
> It;s all based on how you'd fair in an even fight
>
> --
> Capt
> Nilan - n00b in Sunrunner
> Kaomo - not so n00b in Chimaera

I've never noticed my armor making a difference in the difficulty of the
missions: Ubese jacket 34% Kinetic 29% other, plus Tantel helmet and boots
12% Energy 10% other.

How about group hunting? I know that every Scout can harvest any animal a
group member kills and looted money gets shared. I also know that groups
can get more difficult missions than a solo, but how much higher? Sum the
ratings of all members of the group? Take the rating of the highest member
and add 2 or 3 for each additional member?

"Tom Carman" <Tom_Carman@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> "Farrell" <ask_in_the_newsgroupo@tfhl.net> wrote in message
> > On 06/05/2004 22:31, Alexei Boukirev wrote:
> > > "Tom Carman" <Tom_Carman@compuserve.com> wrote in

> > > Your rating depends on skill level and weapon in hand.
> >
> > And what armour you have on, IIRC
> > It;s all based on how you'd fair in an even fight
> >
> > --
> > Capt
> > Nilan - n00b in Sunrunner
> > Kaomo - not so n00b in Chimaera
>
> I've never noticed my armor making a difference in the difficulty of the
> missions: Ubese jacket 34% Kinetic 29% other, plus Tantel helmet and boots
> 12% Energy 10% other.
>
> How about group hunting? I know that every Scout can harvest any animal a
> group member kills and looted money gets shared. I also know that groups
> can get more difficult missions than a solo, but how much higher? Sum the
> ratings of all members of the group? Take the rating of the highest
member
> and add 2 or 3 for each additional member?

It seems to do an average on smaller groups but to hike up the difficulty on
larger groups. So when i group with just one person of lower skill i get
worse mission than i would alone. I group with a number of people and the
missions start to get tougher. I haven't figured out exactly how that works
Erambacca / Eloise
Wookie / Smuggler
Talon - Corellia - Tempest

I've been in groups of 8-10, maybe more people, where we get Mountain Squill
missions. Typically it's because of some idiots, but those groups break
after 1 or 2 missions because no one knows how to-- and don't take this as
an elitist comment, I'm far from elite I just know how to do missions-- do
the frigging missions correctly. But even under the most dire cicumstances a
group out to be able to still pull it off if the combat ratings were
accurate.

Anthony Giampa; Imperiai2@cox.net
In the year 2000: "...The American bald eagle will be taken off the
protective species list,
not because it's no longer endangered, but because it is a douchebag." --
David Duchovney

"jibbrish" <jibbrish@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Tom Carman" <Tom_Carman@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > "Farrell" <ask_in_the_newsgroupo@tfhl.net> wrote in message

> > > And what armour you have on, IIRC
> > > It;s all based on how you'd fair in an even fight
> > >
> > > --
> > > Capt
> > > Nilan - n00b in Sunrunner
> > > Kaomo - not so n00b in Chimaera
> >
> > I've never noticed my armor making a difference in the difficulty of the
> > missions: Ubese jacket 34% Kinetic 29% other, plus Tantel helmet and
boots
> > 12% Energy 10% other.
> >
> > How about group hunting? I know that every Scout can harvest any animal
> > group member kills and looted money gets shared. I also know that
groups
> > can get more difficult missions than a solo, but how much higher? Sum
the
> > ratings of all members of the group? Take the rating of the highest
> member
> > and add 2 or 3 for each additional member?
> >

> It seems to do an average on smaller groups but to hike up the difficulty
on
> larger groups. So when i group with just one person of lower skill i get
> worse mission than i would alone. I group with a number of people and the
> missions start to get tougher. I haven't figured out exactly how that
works
> Erambacca / Eloise
> Wookie / Smuggler
> Talon - Corellia - Tempest

Mountain Squill are the only missions i do atm because on Tat. they pay
best.
I only group with 2 or 3 of my pets so I get all the money, and I let the
pets do the mission.
Never had a problem with them.
--
Ebe, MCH
Mos Reminant II

"Anthony Giampa" <Imperiai2@cox.net> wrote in message
> I've been in groups of 8-10, maybe more people, where we get Mountain
Squill
> missions. Typically it's because of some idiots, but those groups break
> after 1 or 2 missions because no one knows how to-- and don't take this as
> an elitist comment, I'm far from elite I just know how to do missions-- do
> the frigging missions correctly. But even under the most dire cicumstances
> group out to be able to still pull it off if the combat ratings were
> accurate.

> Anthony Giampa; Imperiai2@cox.net
> In the year 2000: "...The American bald eagle will be taken off the
> protective species list,
> not because it's no longer endangered, but because it is a douchebag." --
> David Duchovney
>

> "jibbrish" <jibbrish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tom Carman" <Tom_Carman@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > > "Farrell" <ask_in_the_newsgroupo@tfhl.net> wrote in message

> about

> > > I've never noticed my armor making a difference in the difficulty of
the
> > > missions: Ubese jacket 34% Kinetic 29% other, plus Tantel helmet and
> boots
> > > 12% Energy 10% other.
> > >
> > > How about group hunting? I know that every Scout can harvest any
animal
> > > group member kills and looted money gets shared. I also know that
> groups
> > > can get more difficult missions than a solo, but how much higher? Sum
> the
> > > ratings of all members of the group? Take the rating of the highest
> > member
> > > and add 2 or 3 for each additional member?
> > >

> > It seems to do an average on smaller groups but to hike up the
difficulty
> on
> > larger groups. So when i group with just one person of lower skill i
get
> > worse mission than i would alone. I group with a number of people and
the
> > missions start to get tougher. I haven't figured out exactly how that
> works
> > Erambacca / Eloise
> > Wookie / Smuggler
> > Talon - Corellia - Tempest

It's funny because no one knows how to hold thier fire. You get one guy
saying 'I'm going to shoot the lair, no one else shoot the lair, when we
draw one out, everyone shoot at it.' So that one guy shoots, and everyone
sees this as 'the attack has begun' and EVERYONE fires at the lair. Now you
are drawing creatures or whatever, but no one stops to shoot them, and they
keep shooting at the lairs drawing out even more. Gah. Even talking about it
makes me mad. =) I hadn't done hunting 'parties' like this for a long time,
but recently I've done some just for fun and it's hilarious how some people
are out there who just can't read (or don't pay attention to spatial or
group chatting).

"Ebe on ShadowFire" <jfppc@netdoor.com> wrote in message
> Mountain Squill are the only missions i do atm because on Tat. they pay
> best.
> I only group with 2 or 3 of my pets so I get all the money, and I let the
> pets do the mission.
> Never had a problem with them.
> --
> Ebe, MCH
> Mos Reminant II
> Tatooine
> ShadowFire
>

> "Anthony Giampa" <Imperiai2@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I've been in groups of 8-10, maybe more people, where we get Mountain
> Squill
> > missions. Typically it's because of some idiots, but those groups break
> > after 1 or 2 missions because no one knows how to-- and don't take this
as
> > an elitist comment, I'm far from elite I just know how to do missions--
do
> > the frigging missions correctly. But even under the most dire
cicumstances
> > group out to be able to still pull it off if the combat ratings were
> > accurate.
> >
> > --
> >
> > --
> > Anthony Giampa; Imperiai2@cox.net
> > In the year 2000: "...The American bald eagle will be taken off the
> > protective species list,
> > not because it's no longer endangered, but because it is a
douchebag." --
> > David Duchovney
> >

> > "jibbrish" <jibbrish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Tom Carman" <Tom_Carman@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> > about
> slaughter
> about
> last

> the
> > boots

> animal
> > groups
Sum
> > the
> > > member
> > > >

> > > It seems to do an average on smaller groups but to hike up the
> difficulty
> > on
> > > larger groups. So when i group with just one person of lower skill i
> get
> > > worse mission than i would alone. I group with a number of people and
> the
> > > missions start to get tougher. I haven't figured out exactly how that
> > works
> > > Erambacca / Eloise
> > > Wookie / Smuggler
> > > Talon - Corellia - Tempest

That is why me and my group usually say you have to join our voice server to
hunt with us