Sign in with
Your question

5400+ BE SuperPi Problem?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2008 3:41:31 PM

I Just completed building a new system and I am very disapointed with the SuperPi times. I am wondering if this in normal.

The processor is a 5400+ BE overclocked to 3100. I have 2gb of ram on a biostar MB. I am getting a 1m superPi calc of 31 seconds.

My work comp with is quite old is a core 2 duo at 2.4 ghz and completed the super pi calc in 23 seconds.

Is this a sign somthing is wrong?

Also it gets the EXACT same calcualtion time at the stock clock as it does over clocked.

More about : 5400 superpi problem

a b à CPUs
August 18, 2008 3:45:36 PM

It's more a sign that Intel CPUs are far, far better at super pi than AMD CPUs. My laptop's C2D @ 2.83 does 1M in 19 seconds for example. Don't worry about that score. In most benchmarks and real applications, yours should be faster than a C2D @ 2.4 (though not by as much as you would think, the C2D is more efficient than the Athlon per clock)
August 18, 2008 4:15:46 PM

Is there another benchmark I should be using? Also isnt it strange that the overclock didnt decrease my time? even if AMDs dont like Super Pi it seems that increasing the clock to 3100 should have done somthing.
Related resources
a c 108 à CPUs
August 18, 2008 4:22:43 PM

"Is this a sign somthing is wrong? "

Yes.

You become disappointed because a synthetic benchmark known to overtly favor Intel causes you distress.

Seek professional help immediately. Throw that worthless AMD piece of crap in the garbage before it further ruins your life and that of your future children.

Without haste spend another $200-$300 buying Intel (cue heavenly music) hardware and forget this miserable chapter of your life (if you can).

The long-term damage may be irreversible. I will pray for you.
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2008 5:00:18 PM

Try the 3dmark06 CPU test. See what that gives you.
August 18, 2008 6:02:14 PM

Riven02 said:
Is there another benchmark I should be using? Also isnt it strange that the overclock didnt decrease my time? even if AMDs dont like Super Pi it seems that increasing the clock to 3100 should have done somthing.

Try WPrime32. It's a dual threaded math program similar to SuperPi.
August 18, 2008 7:10:02 PM

Riven02 said:

It's cache limited. Try raise bus speed over 230MHz and you'll see some real improvement.

Let's face it, superPi 1M favors Intel Core 2 architecture. Brisbane core just doesn't compete in that kind of operation. However, what kind of operation you want from your computer?
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2008 7:59:13 PM

You have a good cpu. Super pi means nothing.
August 18, 2008 9:26:17 PM

Comp is going to be for home use photoshop, and video editing. Also some gaming when I find a good deal on a video card. It will also serve as a DVR in the gameroom. It is going to be stored in a Mame arcade cabinet that converts into a desk (currently making this now). Basically its going to be a media hub for the gameroom, a gaming computer and a home office computer. Kinda a jack of all trades.

I am not big on benchmarks usually I was mainly just using superpi to insure things were stable and where they should be. I didnt realize it was so reliant on Cache. What lead me to post mostly was the lack of preformance gain when I OCed it a little. Sounds like I just need to pick a different benchmarking tool. For now all I have done is change the multiplier, but will be doing a proper OC in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help guys.

August 18, 2008 10:20:10 PM

OC to 3GHz would be good enough for you. The recommended CPU speed of Far Cry 2 is Athlon 64 X2 2.7GHz. Never mind about SuperPi 1M. People do that to test raw performance of single CPU core. Intel has some advantage due to their larger L2 and better IPC.
!