Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overclocking Problems (noob)

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 24, 2009 5:39:53 AM

I am having trouble overclocking my computer, here's my set up:

Winfast NF4SK8AA motherboard
Athlon 64 4000+ (2.4ghz)
G.Skill DDR 400 (pc3200) (2x1gb)

I am having trouble getting a stable system when overclocking. I want to achieve around 3ghz with this and I know it is possible with my cooling.

My CPU multiplier is set at 12 and my CPU is set to 242 for now which is about 2.9ghz. And my cpu voltage stays around 1.36.

My question is: What should I set my memory speed to? I do not know too much about overclocking at this high of a level. My system blue screens a lot when I set my cpu over 240 and I know that is because of memory.
June 24, 2009 6:37:49 AM

relax the memory timings a lot then see how far you can push the cpu. Once that is settled go back and start working on the memory timings.
June 24, 2009 6:38:34 AM

Check out the excellent overclocking guides among the forum stickies.
Related resources
June 24, 2009 7:49:44 PM

505090 said:
relax the memory timings a lot then see how far you can push the cpu. Once that is settled go back and start working on the memory timings.


I am not sure what you mean, I do not understand memory in overclocking. I have read about it but I still do not understand.

If I set my memory to a lower speed like 100mhz and I have my HT multiplier at 5x, my computer will still run unstable at ~240 (12x).
June 24, 2009 7:55:06 PM

Mondoman said:
Check out the excellent overclocking guides among the forum stickies.

June 24, 2009 8:10:33 PM

I have read the article about overclocking AMD64 processors and it doesn't help it seems like it is for more advanced overclockers....
June 24, 2009 8:45:59 PM

if the memory is unstable in an overclock you have two options up the voltage which i don't care for personally, but many do. Or you can relax the timings which means to increase them generally i only mess with the first 4 settings and leave the rest alone.

When I overclock I do one thing at a time. I'll set the memory timings high and the speed slow so there is no way they can be an issue until I'm done with the cpu. Then I will go back and bring the memory up to par.
June 24, 2009 9:49:59 PM

505090 said:
if the memory is unstable in an overclock you have two options up the voltage which i don't care for personally, but many do. Or you can relax the timings which means to increase them generally i only mess with the first 4 settings and leave the rest alone.


Is there a program that can do this? Because I cannot do it in my BIOS
June 24, 2009 10:05:07 PM

it's under dram configuration you have to switch from auto to manual then pick your settings my hand

imho
you shouldn't overclock until you learn to find and read an mb owners manual
June 24, 2009 10:13:02 PM

I did look under dram configuration and it only allows me to select from 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz, and 200mhz. It's not like there are multiple settings to change in the configuration.
June 25, 2009 5:32:27 AM

I have it working thanks for the help!

:) 
!