Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New to building, any help is welcome

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 29, 2008 8:58:42 PM

I've been toying with the idea of building my own computer the last week or so. I am pretty new to this and would welcome any and all knowledge you guys have to share with me for this. I'm hoping to keep the prive under 900 for the time being. That is why i have a slightly cheaper video card in at the moment, will upgrade at a later date.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

More about : building

a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2008 9:06:20 PM

We can't see it if it's "Secure Wishlist".
June 29, 2008 9:16:03 PM

hmm, thought i had the public one, oh well, sorry about that. Heres a list of what i have on it, and URL's for them.

Optical: HP 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model dvd1040i
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo: ASUS P5K PRO LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: RAIDMAX Sagitta 2 ATX-928WB Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Vid Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
June 29, 2008 9:24:06 PM

Wow that case if fugly. Honestly, look at RC-690, Antec Nine Hundred, Antec Three Hundred. Get a Antec/Corsair/PCP&C PSU. Get a 4850 or a 8800GTS 512 for about $120 after rebate. Look at X38/X48 if you get the 4850 for CF. That RAM is fine, but @ 5-5-5-18 @ 1.9v, it's weak sauce. Look at Crucial Ballistix 4-4-4-12 2t 2.2v DDR2-800 PC6400. 2GB is okay, 4GB recommended. Look at WD6400AAKS, bang for buck, solid performer. Get the 64-bit OS for 4GB. Get a SATA optical drive, the one you picked has IDE, which is the wide ribbons, SATA is the thin cable that doesn't affect airflow negatively.
June 29, 2008 9:54:58 PM

Shoudl i go with the 64bit Vista or the 32bit vista? doing some more reading, it seems there are driver issues with the 64bit verison?
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2008 10:07:27 PM

kylednelson said:
hmm, thought i had the public one, oh well, sorry about that. Heres a list of what i have on it, and URL's for them.

Optical: HP 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model dvd1040i
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo: ASUS P5K PRO LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: RAIDMAX Sagitta 2 ATX-928WB Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Vid Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Raidmax sucks...and that's being nice about it. Raidmax makes cheap tacky hardware. The cases have crap airflow, and the psu's burn out after a year.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $52.99
COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $4.99
MASSCOOL FD12025S1L3/4 120mm Case Fan - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99 (49.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate)
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 500W Power Supply 100 - 240 V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $199.99
EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $199.99
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $96.99 ($81.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate)
MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $86.99 ($66.50 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $74.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $23.99
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $6.99
ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $94.99
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Total
$912.89
$852.89 w/mail in rebates
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2008 10:09:16 PM

pcgamer12 said:
Wow that case if fugly. Honestly, look at RC-690, Antec Nine Hundred, Antec Three Hundred. Get a Antec/Corsair/PCP&C PSU. Get a 4850 or a 8800GTS 512 for about $120 after rebate. Look at X38/X48 if you get the 4850 for CF. That RAM is fine, but @ 5-5-5-18 @ 1.9v, it's weak sauce. Look at Crucial Ballistix 4-4-4-12 2t 2.2v DDR2-800 PC6400. 2GB is okay, 4GB recommended. Look at WD6400AAKS, bang for buck, solid performer. Get the 64-bit OS for 4GB. Get a SATA optical drive, the one you picked has IDE, which is the wide ribbons, SATA is the thin cable that doesn't affect airflow negatively.


I mentioned an Antec PSU in my last post.

He said he plans to replace the Video Card later, hes trying to keep it within budget.

Memory should be fine he wouldn't notice the difference between 4-4-4-12 & 5-5-5-18

He listed Vista HP 64bit......

Agree SATA is better, but be gentle with the SATA connectors I had one break on me while trying to remove it(Gigabyte cable and motherboard) fortunately I had a spare....
June 29, 2008 10:35:50 PM

You broke one? Sad... How is it Gigabytes fault? there is a release mechanism on it, its called press ur thumb on it.
June 29, 2008 10:37:22 PM

Vista HP 64bit? Whats HP? Hewlett Packard? 5-5-5-18 is very loose (insert ur mom joke here). antec psu is good. dont get a weak gpu now and upgrade later, get a 4850 unless its cf, 1 4850 now, another later.
June 29, 2008 10:42:14 PM

Well, I will not being buying it all at once, so if i make the video card one fo the last things i buy, i can probably get away with the 4850 then
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2008 11:01:52 PM

Agree with Why_me.....except he was being way too kind about Raidmax
June 29, 2008 11:55:48 PM

Here's an update so far, based on the feedback i've gotten (thank you all for your help thus far)

PSU: Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: Sunbeam AC-HUVB UV Blue (UV reactive) Clear Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo: ASUS P5K PRO LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Vid Card: SAPPHIRE 100242L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Plus the fan, compound, and Vista 64bit.
Grand total: 914.40 (874.40 after mail-in-rebates)
June 30, 2008 12:43:02 AM

Sot he above is the 99% certainity list of what i am going to get for my computer (still debating on case, i want somethign that looks badass but also has good airflow). Now my last challenage will be to find a computer on dell or alienware that is similar to this to show my wife that (hopefully) its cheaper to build my own! lol
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2008 12:57:05 AM

kylednelson said:
Sot he above is the 99% certainity list of what i am going to get for my computer (still debating on case, i want somethign that looks badass but also has good airflow). Now my last challenage will be to find a computer on dell or alienware that is similar to this to show my wife that (hopefully) its cheaper to build my own! lol


Performance > Looks...that is if your a gamer.

Airflow, quality, and room for expansion is always what to look for in a case. Most of those cases with flashy lights and plastic windows are junk for the most part.
June 30, 2008 1:34:16 AM

Will my PSU be "strong" enough for my build? What about if/when ig et a second 4850
June 30, 2008 1:48:01 AM

wow, much cheaper on buy.com then newegg, jebus
June 30, 2008 11:55:10 PM

Others can argue all they want, but I still say the 64-bit's a bad buy, especially for 4gb, 3.5gb of which will be readable in 32-bit, not to mention the 64-bit's larger footprint. Plus there are indeed driver issues. But then again, apparently there are people out there who have had no trouble at all... running Paint.
July 2, 2008 10:29:11 PM

Well, Iw ill give it a try I guess. May go to 8gb in 6 months or so, so then 64bit will be the best bet... correct?
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2008 4:58:04 AM

pcgamer12 said:
You broke one? Sad... How is it Gigabytes fault? there is a release mechanism on it, its called press ur thumb on it.


I never actually said it was their fault, I know there is a release button, its one of the reasons I like Gigabyte's cables, but unfortunately it was from my GA-K8N-SLI and had a different style button than the ones that came with my DS3L.

When i built my current rig, I reused my case and cables, the hard drive it was connected to was from my previous build, regardless the design is different and was a major PITA the first time i unhooked it when it was the only SATA drive. With my current setup I have 2 Seagate Sata 320gb drives and a Samsung Sata DVD-RW.

If you look at the layout the one that broke was plugged in to the second one down


And since you probably can't tell its upside down(release button would face down). my dvd-rw was plugged into the third one. I remedied it by using the fourth for my dvd-rw leaving space to reach the button.

So not their fault, other than poor layout. Especially if all 4 are filled.

Oh and to answer this question:
pcgamer12 said:
Vista HP 64bit? Whats HP? Hewlett Packard?


Vista Home Premium
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2008 5:11:56 AM

resonance451 said:
Others can argue all they want, but I still say the 64-bit's a bad buy, especially for 4gb, 3.5gb of which will be readable in 32-bit, not to mention the 64-bit's larger footprint. Plus there are indeed driver issues. But then again, apparently there are people out there who have had no trouble at all... running Paint.


Proud owner of Vista 64, The closest i have come to driver issues was having issues finding a driver for my generic Aopen Wireless NIC. And now if I do certain things on the internet like send an email with attachment in Windows Live Mail(WLM specifically) my computer locks up/freezes (with video stuck on the last thing there) Outlook works properly when sending them.

And now I'm having issues with WDRM being corrupted and i cant play my purchased songs from Rhapsody. fortunately I only have 4 and i got them during Wendy's Rhapsody give away thing. Itunes works fine though.

Those are the only 2 worth mentioning. Overall i could not see myself going back to 32bit Or XP.
!