AMD on track to report a profit for Q3

azza21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Just came across this bit of news, apparently AMD have found a friend in the name of "JSC Angstrem", who...you may ask. Well the article tells all, but its nice to see AMD heading in the right direction all be it with a little bit help from our Russian friends :)

Remember AMD’s promise to return to profitability in the third quarter of this year? You may be wondering how this will be possible considering the fact that the company has lost money eight over the past seven quarters, including $269 million in Q2 2008, and no big bucks advances against Intel are in sight. But we are certain that AMD in fact will report a huge profit for the third quarter that may not originate from hugely increased product sales, but will create the foundation for the much anticipated announcement of AMD’s “Asset Smart”.

There has been much talk about AMD’s return into the black over the past seven quarters, which, in aggregate, brought AMD losses of $5.14 billion (including charges). AMD’s numbers became somewhat predictable, if we followed analyst CPU sales forecasts and the company’s claims that it would need at least $2.0 billion in revenue per quarter to return a profit. Cost reductions including layoffs recently took that number down into the $1.6 - $1.7 billion range and AMD plans to cut the requirement to close to $1.5 billion in order to be able to break even.

And even that may be a bit optimistic at the time, as the company brought in only $1.3 billion in Q2, but $1.5 billion in Q1. But a breakeven is a generally believed requirement for the company to announce “Assert Smart”, a move that is expected to split AMD into a manufacturing company and a fabless chip development firm. While production numbers of the quad-core Opteron are improving and the ATI has delivered a fantastic graphics chip, there is at least some doubt that regular sales would allow AMD to become profitable again in Q3, especially if we consider the aggressive pricing of Phenom processors and our own impression that the company’s latest Puma platform is showing up in far less Back-to-school notebooks than we would have expected.

And still, there is little doubt that AMD in fact will announce a profit for Q3.

Why? Simple: AMD has just sold its 200 mm wafer equipment to JSC Angstrem, a Russian semiconductor manufacturer. Earlier this year, JSC Angstrem bought 130 nm CMOS equipment from Fab 30 in Dresden for about $190 million. With this part of the deal, JSC has all of the components to start manufacturing computer chips.

There is some doubt about how much money changed hands during the deal and AMD Europe declined to release any numbers. But JSC Angstrem did. CEO Anatoly Soukhaparov told German newspaper SZ-Online that the company recently received a 815 million Euro loan, the “majority” of which is spent on the AMD manufacturing equipment as well as AMD CMOS technology that was developed in Dresden, Germany. We leave it up to you to guess what “majority” really means, but 815 million Euros translate into $1.2 billion at the current exchange rate. This would mean that AMD will get at least $600 million, $190 million of which have been accounted for in AMD’s Q2 result. That leaves potentially more than $400 million for Q3.

We generally would expect AMD’s revenue to seasonally improve from Q3 and the loss from continuing operations to decline, which leaves AMD with lots of room to return into the black for Q3.

According to Soukhaparov, Angstrem plans to start manufacturing chips in late 2009. It seems that the idea is to create a Russian version of Silicon Valley. Zelenograd, by the way, translates to “Green city”.

Angstrem is expected to produce Bluetooth, USB, Wi-Fi and similar controller chips, which is seen as way to collect experience and knowledge in modern chip manufacturing. However, the deal between AMD and JSC Angstrem is not done. Soukhaparov also stated that the company is negotiating with the U.S. and EU governments to win approvals to import 90 nm processing technology as well. The executive expects that the 90nm deal could close in couple of years and AMD will continue to supply JSC Angstrem with 90nm equipment from Fab 36, resulting in additional revenues for AMD.

It appears that AMD will be spending the windfall on its Fab30-to-38 conversion, which will turn AMD's Fab30 into a 45 nm 300 mm Fab from the current 90nm 200mm facility.

Some may call this sale of manufacturing equipment to achieve profitability cheating and it is certainly not the type of profitability we would have expected when CEO Hector Ruiz promised that the company would return a profit in Q3. But if it is necessary for the company to stand up again and follow through with its “Asset Smart” plan, that that is fine with us.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38940/118/

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Well, duh; anyone can create a profitable quarter by selling off chunks of the company. But which part are they going to sell off next quarter?

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I'm no financial expert, but I'm pretty sure theres a difference between operating profit and net profit due to one time sales of company assets.

AMD is still operating in the red as far as I can tell, selling off assets will help stem the cash bleed in the short term but they still need to get back to operational profit in the long run to remain fiscally viable.

Thats true. But their margins are set to improve. The ATI branch will go into the black, and once they get into 45nm, itll help immensely. This isnt a situation where theyre hurt at all from this. Its not like theyre going to use a bunch of skt 939s and make a graphics card on old tech. This is wise, and surely helps them. And may I ask anyone opposed to that, why is this bad? As for misleading, we will see when the numbers come out. There certainly are some haters here.

May be true , may not be. The extra 400 million may show up yet. At 45nm, at least AMD has a few things going for it. Ive heard the improvements are anywheres from 7 to 12% with Deneb. Itll oc better, and the most important is, itll cost much less to fab. This allows for a lil more competition in perf, and pricing. So, if true, this may allow AMD a lil more needed time to get the real numbers into the black

In case anyone needs a hint: You generate profits by successfully selling product to end users at a price that puts cash in your own pocket. NOT by selling off chunks of your company and by playing a restructuring shell-game.

Thanks in advance for all the down ratings I'm about to get for daring to question AMD.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
i think they're strong w\ ati.... if etrade releases my money to use before amd stock is $6 or more i'm going to buy some...

i've already sent them a few semi-nasty emails letting them know how unhappy i am w\ them, my next is going to be asking if they're going to credit me for the price difference in the stock from my intended purchase date last week and when they are saying i can use my money (the 21's) even though the bank transaction took a few days and was complete last week.

If the article is to be believed at all, the answer is clear and is already a done deal: Sell it to **** people into thinking AMD actually delivered a profit.

Quote from the article, on the off chance someone chooses to not read that part because it doesn't jibe with their current views of the world: "But we are certain that AMD in fact will report a huge profit for the third quarter that may not originate from hugely increased product sales..."

Argue technology all day, if you guys want. But from a BUSINESS perspective, you have widespread layoffs in the name of cost cutting, executives leaving the company, and now they're selling off assets and claiming "profits" with the proceeds. And doing so in the face of a massive restructuring.

If anyone is investing in AMD - Watch the next quarterly very closely. Inventories had better be down. That is a sure way to tell if they're moving product. If they're up? Sell.

Thats true, every point. My responses were to comments of this as being a negative, when in fact, it is a positive. No spinning, just 400 million reasons to like this. If AMD doesnt get off their arse and make some cpus that sell, itll continue, but each and every step they take is magnified because of their current situation. If it turns out to be making 600 million dollars on selling obsolete material, all the better for them. If they dont right their ship, itll surely , eventually go down. But for now, this transaction, is good news. Win win. Layoffs, etc is bad, execs dont actually make the products, and some may have been bad for the companby and are welcome to have left. Depends how you look at it too. This is a positive, and should be seen as such. As far as profit margins, leave that up to the author, the reader, and business practices.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

If it's obsolete, why is someone paying hundreds of millions of dollars to buy it?

Either the buyer is stupid, or AMD could have had a continuing revenue stream by manufacturing the chips that the buyer is now going to make itself. And helping start 'a Russian version of Silicon Valley' could be really bad for AMD in the long term if it actually comes about.

Because: supply and demand. Ive got it, you want to buy it. Im already established in my market, ahead of what Im selling you, and am capable of moving forwards beyond that. Happens all the time. Punchpresses, lathes etc. CNC and some old non CNC stuff. Depends on the size of the company and their needs.

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007

The layoffs were obvious. No one has left the company. The assets they're selling are no longer needed. You make it seem like the restructuring is bad.

The equipment they are selling, from what I understand from the article, is the equipment used to make 90nm processors. Obviously they aren't going to be producing those anymore. The company that is buying the equipment will use the equipment to make chips for a completely different market. Did you even read the article?

Henri Richard, Chief of Sales

Dave Orton, EVP and former CEO of ATI

Mario Rivas - EVP of Computing Products

Elke Eckstein - VP Manufacturing

Rick Hegberg - SVP Worldwide Sales

And Hector Ruiz himself also abandoned his position as CEO (remains on the Board of Directors)

and you, sir, state that nobody left. An asinine statement considering all of the above have resigned their positions at AMD in the last year.

That is hardly "Nobody"

{edit} To add:

Stephen DiFranco - Corp VP, Consumer Sales and Marketing

Phil Hester - Chief Technology Officer

I think the marketing from AMD has sucked for a long time. One of the most exspensive and least productive ways to sell , say a cpu, is motor sports ads. So the ads people, no problem, especially from what Ive seen with the tactics used in the coming of the 4xxx series. Didnt see that one coming eh? No, theyre more ON track than before

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

AMD wold have been breakeven last quarter for operating income had they taken a smaller charge for the ATi stuff they're selling. They lost "ONLY" $269M in operating income. This quarter will see the 4000 series contribution along with Puma, which contrary to popular opinion is showing up everywhere. Then the 2.5GHz Opterons are in the wild for this quarter and those are still ahead of Intel in 4P HPC and Web and in some cases in 2P.

The biggest issue AMD has is getting OEMs to really push them. AMD can make all of the chips they want but if HP et al are lettng them "sit in the back of the warehouse" they can't sell them. I actually find it hard to believe that OEMs don't want a 2.5GHz Griffin ASAP to make gaming laptops with Hybrid XFire. Selling off the assets is a natural part of business. Do you think Intel just through away their 90nm equipment? Don't think so. More than sales it will be because the layoffs and restructuring costs less to run.

We'll see though. I think they may have a nice profit especially with 780G and HTPC. It also seems that they have canceled those $30-60 chips that weren't contributing to the bottom line. It's better to have inventory of Phenom that's worth $100+ than X2s worth under $50. If they can really evangelize the "balanced platrform" they will up sales considerably. I mean, if the GPU is more important for gaming and the IGP for BluRay (imagine someone telling you you can't play BluRay until you upgrade your BIOS and get a new version of the SW you've been using for years.) AMD is in a much better strategic position than Intel and nVidia.

But I reiterate that they should leave off this desktop race and push towards Stars-based Griffin which should get to 3GHz at 45nm. A 3GHz laptop in Q109 would change a lot. Hell, they may even be able to take 9150e, shrink it and get it into a laptop. That would be another large market. I'd love to have a low speed quad core laptop with 3850Xfire.
Can you hear me, Dirk?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

That is a natural part of business. Intel sold lots of businesses and layed off more people than AMD employs last year. They did that so that the big hole that was made with a $183 E6300 was covered until they could dump P4 and get to 45nm.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

You mean a quad core 45nm laptop is a bad thing? I wish I was running AMD sometimes. I wouldn't have dropped prices as much and would definitely have put more resources into mobile. They should take my advice and shrink Griffin with Stars cores and forget about being able to sell $1500 desktop processors that no one buys anyway (what about .2%).

If I wereto give Intel advice it would be to have left ATis chipset license and stop tying products together. What happens is that if they have a problem, where will people get chipsets or IGPs for all those CPUs? I would also have stayed out of the XO market. Intel is stretched too thin, almost like MS. Nehalem may be their Rubicon as it will require new boards, new chipsets, a whole new infrastructure. I'd also wait and drop server chips first, since if the plan backfires i7 will sit while Deneb and Penryn sell out.