Sign in with
Your question

Complete noob needs help

Last response: in Overclocking
June 24, 2009 8:52:50 PM

new here so firstly to say hi to all. sorry if under wrong topic
hopefully, someone can advise me (a complete overclocking noob/idiot) as to what i need to do to overclock my 7750be on an Asus M2N-E (non sli) mobo, with bios 1701. read that 3.0gig was easily achievable on this set up changing the multiplier only to 15. did this and got bsod when machine was converting divx to dvd (too stressful?). changed multiplier down to 14.5 and all ok. would like to know what i need to change to get to 3.2gigish and stable. using 2x2gig 800mhz corsair ddr2 ram (windows xp shows 3gig ram). anyone advise me please?
TIA

More about : complete noob

June 25, 2009 1:21:39 AM

Check out the excellent overclocking guides among the forum stickies.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2009 1:28:15 AM

Well... we don't actually have a Phenom guide. It would be nice to give the old A64 guide the flick and replace it.
Related resources
June 26, 2009 7:18:30 AM

tnx guys. no disrespect intended, obviously, but i have read and read and read posts and guides on here and other places until i just cant read any more. i dont think i am by any means thick, but i just dont understand what i am reading. i appreciate that there will be differences because of different boards or chips or ram etc that is being used. however, to do just basic overclocking, surely there must be some sort of general formula that applies to all, but is then tweaked by the 'experts' for the more serious stuff?
June 26, 2009 11:03:02 AM

A good way to start is to learn about the different clocked subsystems; in your case, there's the CPU processing core, the HyperTransport bus and the memory bus. It's pretty much only the CPU processing core that affects performance, so the general idea is to increase its speed as much as possible, and there are different ways to do that. However, changing the core speed often changes the HT and/or memory bus speeds, and this can cause problems and crash the system. Thus, you try to make additional adjustments to keep the HT and memory bus speeds unboosted. Even so, the system may crash. You can sometimes compensate by boosting voltage to certain components, but that can also damage parts. On top of that, different models of CPUs vary widely in the OCability on average, and even different individual CPUs of the same model have different OCing properties.

The "general formula" you mention does exist - it's called "stock speed".
June 26, 2009 7:02:05 PM

seems like just above 'stock speed' (multiplier from 13.5 to 14.5 and no bsod yet) is where i'll stay then, ha ha. the info you've given above sounds too complicated for an o/c idiot like me. pity i dont know anyone that could literally show me. at least then i would be able to see what is changed and the effect. appreciate your time tho' guys.
!