Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
So i just recently moved house and transported my computer for 2 hours in the car. i wanted to place it on its side but my dad said it would be ok standing up, and we wedged it in place nicely so it wouldnt fall or anything. Trouble is, it doesnt work now for some reason. Ive tried removing everything like the GPU, ram, sound cards, lights/fans etc, but still it wont work. Basicly the motherboard is powering on and everythings getting power but it's not posting the bios at all. Iv'e tried reseting the cmos a few times, remving the battery, the jumper and leaving it for a few hours with the power disconnected. This kind of thing has happend before when my overclock broke the computer and a cmos reset wouldnt fix it- i had to take out the processor and power on the machine with no cpu in, then it was fixed (someone told me to do this in a forum and it worked). So as a last resort i could try doing that, but it seems like an odd coincidence as ive been running this OC stable for a couple of years with no problems. So im thinking the car journey has somehow broken the mobo. Any ideas?

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
My 2 cents worth is something is lose. I would check the CPU and reset everything again, even the cables.

sailer

Splendid
While the most likely culprit is a loose wire or connection, one other thing you could check is for a loose part, that is, a piece of hardware that fell off. My son had the bad luck of having a heatsink fall off when he moved, and it came to rest on the graphics card. When he fired up the computer, it was the end of the computer. Sparks flew as he turned it off, and the only thing that survived was the hard drive, which failed a few months later.

Don't know if you did it, but I always save the shipping boxes for later transport of my computers. Its a hassle storing them away, but ever so handy when one must be moved. Even then, I've made a habit of opening the side cover and checking things out before I turn the computer on after having moved it.