Install program/games on SSD?

Cobykills

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
To take advantage of a fast harddrive (SSD) do I have to install programs or games on the SSD or can I just install my OS on the SSD and programs, documents, media, games on my slower regular harddrive?

I am planning to get a 64GB SSD (OCZ Vertex) for my OS and 4 extra hardrives operating in raid for my programs, games and files. For my extra hardrives thinking of getting 2GB Caviar Greens as they more eco-friendly.

Solution
It'll be fastest if the programs, games, and OS are on the SSD (it's unlikely that it would make a difference to put your documents and media on the SSD though, unless you're in a habit of opening 25 of them at once). Even if you only put the OS on the SSD though, it'll still make a difference - I'm running my OS and pagefile on an X25-M, and my programs on a pair of velociraptors, and there's a definite speed difference from when I had my OS on the velociraptors with the apps and games.

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

To benefit from the superior SSD's performace, you must install your games and other more demanding programs on the SSD, leave common data such as images, videos, documents and backup files on your slower disks.

It'll be fastest if the programs, games, and OS are on the SSD (it's unlikely that it would make a difference to put your documents and media on the SSD though, unless you're in a habit of opening 25 of them at once). Even if you only put the OS on the SSD though, it'll still make a difference - I'm running my OS and pagefile on an X25-M, and my programs on a pair of velociraptors, and there's a definite speed difference from when I had my OS on the velociraptors with the apps and games.

Solution

Cobykills

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006

Thanks for the info. Ill probably get a Caviar Black for my programs and games then as I don't have enough money too buy a velociraptor too.

But just to clarify the advantage of fast hard drives is only for loading times right. So that means my video files and music can stay on my slower Caviar Green, as I will only open them once then listen to them?

Exactly. There is little to no advantage to putting videos, music, or pictures on an extremely fast drive as compared to a slower one. The biggest impact will be on the OS, then programs and games.

Oh, and a Caviar Black would work fine for programs.