4870 trouble (Black screen, crazy RPM)

painkiller10

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
In desperate need of help here. My newly built computer was working fine yesturday, I went on today and checked the temps of the card and was supprised at the high temps I was getting, so I decided to up the fan speed to 41%. About 10 minutes after I did this I lost signal and the fan started making an extremely loud noise (sounded like a plane taking off) Now whenever I turn on my PC all I get it is a black screen and this very loud fan noise as a greeting.

I have tried switching monitors but that does not seem to do anything, probably something wrong with the card but I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kari

Splendid
Do you get any HDD activity when powering on, like is it loading windows at all rather than just sitting there idle? If it is loading the OS, then it could very well be the card but if it's just sitting there doing nothing it might be PSU related or something else...

painkiller10

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Another nvidia fanboy trying to make negative posts about the 4850/4870. We talked about this on another thread.

1st post.....

Give it up brother...

Well if you could kindly link me to that thread then, rather than shout out claims about me being some sort of undercover PR worker for NVIDIA, that would be helpful.

huarui

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[those tools used to flash ati bios do not support GDDR5 memory, the bios u flashed with is only 64 KB while the 4870 GDDR5 uses 128K bios. you can flash the original bios back with another graphic card and dont touch the bios again until the newer version software comes out.
It's not a big deal, dont worry about it. just flash it back. dont use ur backup one, it's also 64KB, download a bios from somewhere and make sure it's 128 KB

Good luck

AMD/ATI,
Markham,Canada

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
huarui is right i think......the 4870s make some major noise when the system is first turned on....before the bios gets them under control....

I dont know if you flashed your bios....but it sounds like its not working properly.

painkiller10

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Well tbh I don't know what "Flashing the bios" is so I don't think I've done it, I did however install the stuff that came with the mobo on a disk, maybe that is what you are talking about?

I'm going to take the card out today and delete the drivers for the card and set my mobo back to stock settings.

Where are the drivers stored on vista so I can get rid of them?
And how can I "Un-Flash" the bios.

Thanks.

painkiller10

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Well I installed a 8600GT, booted and left the PC uninstalling the drivers, I come back and BAM, black screen.

So dunno WTF is going on. Mobo is to blame?

huarui

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
if the 8600GT doesnt work either, then that might not be the card's problem. it's possible that's the mobo's problem or due to some other components. u ought to test every component before asking this question.
Good luck

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
i presume you plugged in the extra power to the cards? , 520w should be enough if its a corsair , btw dont install a new card until you remove the drivers first if you can help it. id lean towards it being the motherboard also , what motherboard and chipset you using?

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
PSU should be fine, that 500w is the total system draw, so unless you have masses of hdd then you will be ok. Im afraid your problem is more serious.

Maybe try the card in another pc, but it sounds like the card might be a dud.

concrum

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
This may causes by the heat. 4800 serie is well known for its overheating. under full loaded a 4850 or 4870 could run as hot as 100-110*C

natesuniverse

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Wow Nvidia as previous card and no one told him to wipe drivers with drvier cleaner????? Or there is one nvidia wipe tool out there I believe. Though it seems this is a situation with the cards.

G

i have a similar if not the same problem.

a few weeks after i had put my new computer together my grapichcard started crashing every now and then. after some forum-tracking the best solution i could find was that the swapping between 500 and 750mhz clock speed wasnt working propperly. and this cused the crashes during alternating loads in games.

yesterday i flashed the bios, just changed the 500mhz idel to a constant 750mhz and lowered the minimum temp treshold. That night i turned off my computer properly like always and when i turned it on the next day i was met with a black screen. Does this seam like a bios failure? after flashin the bios i obviosly restared the computer and then it worked just fine for several hours. why wait till the next afternoon to go A wall?

should i send it in or could i easelier fix this myself. (don't have another PCI card to use for flashing with the old bios atm.
But in such an atempt would it work to use another PCI-express card? or do u need to use another port cus u have to disable the one ur flashing is on.... just thinkin out load at the end here...

any help is appreciated