Service policy for Samsung 50" HDTV?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 20, 2005 11:50:21 PM

I'm considering buying a 50" Samsung HDTV (HLR5067W). Should I also
purchase the service contract they sell with it? (Cost: about $400.)

The salesmen at the stores that sell large-screen TVs all warn me that
replacing the main bulb in this machine costs $400 or so just for the
bulb, and that I'll need to pay a service technician do that repair.
Is it something I can easily do myself?

What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 21, 2005 10:43:06 AM

Al wrote:
> I'm considering buying a 50" Samsung HDTV (HLR5067W). Should I also
> purchase the service contract they sell with it? (Cost: about $400.)
>
> The salesmen at the stores that sell large-screen TVs all warn me that
> replacing the main bulb in this machine costs $400 or so just for the
> bulb, and that I'll need to pay a service technician do that repair.
> Is it something I can easily do myself?
>
> What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

I haven't replaced my bulb yet, but it appears relatively easy to do for
anyone who is reasonably handy. I certainly wouldn't use a service
person to do it. My set is almost two years old, so I'll have to do it
eventually. (So far, it looks as good as new.)

If you're going to buy a service contract, though, make absolutely sure
that it actually covers the bulb. In many cases, it does not. And don't
take the word of the sales person - make sure it's in writing. Bulbs are
considered consumables, and most service contracts exclude them.

Keep in mind that the profit on the $400 service contract is likely as
large or larger than the profit on the $2000 TV, so your sales person is
strongly encouraged to sell it. And that large profit margin should also
give you a clue that the odds are strongly against you ever getting "your
money's worth" out of that contract.

Here are some instructions that someone posted on the AVS forum for
replacing the bulb on an older Samsung set: "Anyway, its as "simple" as
letting the TV cool down for a while and then removing the cover plate
from the left back side (looking from the front) of the TV. That exposes
the bulb tunnel that contains the bulb assembly. You'll need a longish
screwdriver to loosen two captive screws that secure the bulb assembly.
Then withdraw the bulb assembly using the grab handle. Then insert the
new bulb, make sure it is fully seated (it should snap into place),
tighten the captive screws, replace the cover and turn the TV back on.
You can also go into the service menu to reset the # of bulb hours."

Here's the replacement lamp assembly for your set direct from Samsung:

http://www.samsungparts.com/part_detail.asp?catalog_nam...

It costs $199.
!