P5N-D (noob alert)

imunreal

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Ok, I am new to overclocking, and would like some guide lines for this. Before I ask, I would like to point out that everything is up-to-date.

Erm, how would I go about getting the best OC for an Intel E4600 Due core on the P5N-D Motherboard?
I currently have 4.5gb ram, and the following CPU cooler.

http://www.mplex.com/category-70/2076.html

I also have a 750watt PSU. As you can guess I am new to this custom build computer business, and any help would be useful...such as what is the best CPU monitoring software and where to get!

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
use realtemp to monitor the temperature.

to overclock, just go into the BIOS and push the FSB up 10mhz each time until is doesn't boot, then add some more voltage until it boots but don't go above 1.312v because then your warranty is void.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You won't have a bus speed to manipulate, but a QDR(FSB). By default it'll be 800mhz. You can increase this speed, by 30-40mhz, Test each time you increase. Then continue on.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I've currently running my overclocked e4500 to a very stable 2.9 Ghz ( w/ vcore at 1.26 to 1.28) on the P5N-D so you your e4600 should easily OC to a stable 3.2 Ghz.
I use the Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7.

Looping tests of 3dMark06 and Prime95 for about an hour, both cores will go to 62 C and vcore stays at 1.28. You should be getting similar results as far as temps and vcore.

In the BIOS:
Disable the Qfan profile so your cooler fan will run full speed as you OC.
Unlink the memory clock mode.
Set the QDR to 1066.
Leave CPU volts on Auto (for now).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtcFNcpcnQY

If you post and run your tests and its stable, you're good to go at 3.2 Ghz! Monitor your temps. Your vcore should be near 1.28 or lower.

imunreal

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
GREAT thanx for the help ^_^ i got it overclocked at 3ghz, stress test gave me temp's of over 80C, if this is too hot plz tell me =/ but if not...i am a happy bunny

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
80 C is too hot and sustained temps that high can fry your CPU. Either reseat your cooler to see if it can do a better job, or get a different cooler, or don't overclock other than 5 minute experiments.

imunreal

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Ok, the tests said it was stable! Which I found weird because the system actually wouldnt turn on because it overheated, I ahd to open the entire case to let it cool down! Well I need a new CPU fan....

Can someone recommend one to me please?

imunreal

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
sweet thanx, i know what to look for now! Only abd thing is that I am from the UK so that site not the best for me :p but thanx for the recommendation!