Http://www tomshardware com/forum/114365-45-begin-click-user-name

aprillynn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Hello,
Need some help with a Toshiba laptop. Experienced a problem where the computer lost power...when it was restarted; it comes up with a black screen with choices to choose from...we have tried them; but windows is not coming up....help!!!!

aprillynn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

Hi, Emerald! God bless you for answering!
I was able to help my friend over the telephone, (he was the one with the computer problem).

We were finally able to bring his laptop back up again with windows xp.....
we had to use the "safe mode".

Now the only problem he has.....when windows xp came up in the safe mode; of course it had the original factory settings...the old "windows look".

Could you please tell me how we can restore his windows xp so it has the most updated look to it? I hope that makes sense what I just typed..
Thank you so very much for you reply!

aprillynn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

Originally what happened...he was using his laptop and there was some kind of power problem, where the power went off then came back on almost immediately.
When his computer started up again...it kept taking him to the black screen that gives the option of:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

We tried letting it come up with start windows normally; it didn't work; it would try; but always kept coming back to the black screen with the same menu options.

We tried everything that microsoft had available in its' reference guides on the computer....followed what they said to do...
After trying over and over again....when it prompted him again; he chose the
safe mode....it finally brought up windows; but in the safe mode....
so in other words; the whole look of the screen is different format...it just has the simplified look of windows...and he had to go to bed..he has to work first thing in the morning.....I told him just to leave his computer up and running; and I would try to find an answer for him...

When this has happened to me before....I would choose the
Start windows normally option...it always came right back up with no problem...

Not sure why he was having so many problems....but that is where we are stuck right now....trying to get windows xp back to where it was before the power problem....

aprillynn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

I'll have him try it first thing tomorrow. Thank you again for all of your help!
Have a great night!