Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does the blinking light in the case has to do with the HDD?

Last response: in Storage
October 30, 2009 1:22:53 PM

Hello Everybody:

I wonder what does the light in the case means, and what does it indicate?

My first thought (based on the small draw, of three circles, next to it) that it has to with the hard disk, that's why I brought it up in this section of the forum.

If my assumption is right; what does the sequence of the blinking means?

Thank you.
a c 361 G Storage
October 30, 2009 1:34:34 PM

If you're talking about indicator lights on the front of your computer case, usually there are several. There will be one that is system power. That one normally is on constantly when in use, off when shut down. It blinks if the system is in a sleep mode.

There is another next to it that is the hard disk drive light. It is on only when the hard drive is actually in use. If you have more than one drive, they all share this one light. For long disk accesses the light will just stay on for a while, then blink, and eventually turn off if there is no disk activity. Sometimes it will show you the disk is active with background work, even though you are not using the machine.

For optical drives, each of them normally has its own dedicated activity light in its front face, and these do NOT use the main hard disk activity light.
m
l
October 30, 2009 1:41:50 PM

First all, thank you for the quick response.

Does the blinking sequence have a meaning?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 361 G Storage
October 30, 2009 1:48:44 PM

No. It is simply on when the drive is being accessed by the system, and off when not. The drive motor is running all the time (except if you have set BIOS options for turning it off after long periods of no access), but the light shows you when actual data access is happening.

In some drives a very regular and constant blinking pattern may signal that the drive has a hardware error, but those things happen rarely. In such cases you surely would also have a warning window come up on your screen to tell you about the problem. Other than that situation, the blink pattern appears random because the nature of data accesses changes depending on the work being done.
October 30, 2009 2:23:01 PM

Alright, thank you for your extended replies, and explanations.
m
l
!