Is my PSU enough to power 280gtx?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
As far as the rail balancing is concerned, I suggest you read this.
OCZ StealthXstream 600W Power Supply Review - Hardware Canucks 4- Output Characteristics

On the peak load power draw point, you missed this.
In order to characterize a video card's power consumption, the whole system's mains power draw was measured.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
I didn't miss it, the 45nm dual (low load during graphics stress) plus one hdd does not make up the difference. Trust me, the card consumes more than 183W at peak load.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
No I never said that, your PSU will run the 280gtx fine. What I said is that you need to ensure that the rails are load balanced properly. In other words separate the various loads so that none of the rails gets overloaded.

I looked at the rail distribution more closely and the PCIe connectors are set up in such a way that there is really no balancing that can be done anyway, so no problem.

So although it won't balance automatically, there is no balancing needed or possible based on the rail distribution.

I won't get into the details, and further confuse the issue. If you want the details look at 4- Output Characteristics in the link above. I should have read it more closely earlier, and cleared it up at the time. My bad.