RAID 1 - Two Part Question

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Performance
  • Servers
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 30, 2009 1:54:44 PM

I am going to set up a home server. I have not decided on an OS but will use either Windows Home Server or Windows 7. I am going to upgrade all the computers on my home network and add an HTPC. I will most likely upgrade the other systems to Windows 7 (I have access at low cost to Win 7 Ultimate).

Question 1: Does RAID 1 slow performance of applications? I've read a bit on this forum and it sounds like some hit is taken to performance but that it is minimal. Is the performance difference a real consideration? I already have the second drive so there isn't any hardware cost.

Question 2: Can I have two separate RAID 1 arrays on one system? My thought is to set the server up with a disk dedicated to applications and a RAID 1 array set up for network storage and media sharing. Could I set the application disk up in a separate RAID 1 array so that the applications are mirrored? Array A would be an applications array, Array S would be a stoage array.

Thanks for your definitive answers. I've been able to find comments and articles that seem to answer these questions but I'm not confident that my conclusions are correct.

More about : raid part question

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 3, 2009 11:39:18 AM

Question 1: slight delay due to the file being written on 2 hard disks at the same time.

Question 2: You can have as many arrays as you have ports for. When you run out of ports, you can get a RAID controller card if you like.