GA-EP35C-DS3R - Doesn't do anything and I'm stuck :(

phdnguyen

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Hi everyone, I just built my first PC today. I turn the computer on to do the BIOS setup/config and that's where the problem arises.

This screen comes up

100_1865_large.jpg

I press Del or any of the other ones, and nothing happens.

I tried using 2 other keyboards but it just does not seem to respond at all.

The PC seems to be running correctly (no fires :p)
fans working.
lights come on.

So basically, I am just stuck on that screen.

Have I maybe made some rookie mistake?
Please help :(

In case it helps, I have:

GA-EP35C-DS3R Gigabyte Motherboard
Q9450
Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR2
8800GT OC
CoolerMaster M700 Power Supply
Samsung Spinoint 1TB

Thanks in advance.

PS. I found that picture on google, but it is similar to the screen which comes up on my one - for those of you who noticed it's not the same screen.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Is your mobo rev 2.1? It's printed on a label on the box and beside the model on the mobo. If so, F2 or later bios supports the cpu:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2740

If it's F2, unplug power cord, clear cmos for 10 mins, try each stick of ram in each slot, go to bios, load default, up ddr2 voltage by a notch, save & exit, shut down, unplug power cord, install the other ram stick.

wtfchuck

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Try to post with only one stick of ram or an older stick of if you have one around. Then go in to the BIOS and up the DIMM voltage. On my x48-DS4 i had bump up the memory to "+3" before it would post using the corsair dominator kit.

phdnguyen

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks, I will try your suggestion.

also, answering auscanzukus' question, yes it is rev2.1, so the CPU is supported.

lbrende

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I am very disappointed with Gigabyte. I have:
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Revision 2.1
Serial Number: 082000038785

I built my system on top of this motherboard in June. All my components are from New Egg. Starting about a month ago, the computer was asleep but no lights were on the power button. I pushed the power button and the computer went into a cycle of off and on. Since then, 90% of the time I cannot get a clean boot up. The computer goes immediately into a sleep mode that I cannot awaken it from or it starts cycling through an incomplete boot, off, on again over and over again. During the brief start-ups it doesn't even load any drivers.

This is only the most serious problem I have had. At first I could not get sound from the board from the proper output in back, finally bought a sound card to fix that problem. Gigabyte's web site is not user friendly. I can find no mention of this problem on the site. I have found other people posting similar problems on other posts.

I am calling them today when they open. I am past the 30 day return on NewEgg. Will followup to let yall know what happens.

daveofds

phdnguyen

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008

Nothing responds though. Whether I press DEL or TAB or F9 or anything.

anyway,

I think this is the advice I need to follow. When I tried with one RAM stick, lights on my keyboard turned on. I still couldnt press anything though.

I can't try it with an older stick at the moment since the only other ones I have at home are DDR, and I need DDR2, but I have a feeling this will work. I will write back here when I get one.

Also, replying to daveofds, I sent a message to GIGABYTE about my problem via their website and they replied within 12 hours. Although their solution didn't work, (they suggested I reset the CMOS) you should give it a go.
I've yet to reply to gigabyte telling them that it didnt work still because I'm going to follow up on wtfchuck's advice first

phdnguyen

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Sorry, I just took wtfchuck's quote because he goes on to tell me to use an older RAM stick if one of my current RAM sticks don't work - which it doesnt.

phdnguyen

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I got bored not having a PC, so I emailed GIGABYTE to see if they had anything else to say. They told me to try with essential components only - "Only install the basic components on the motherboard – CPU, CPU cooling fan, one memory module (test each individually), VGA card and power supply."

so I disconnected the CD Drive and Hard Drive - and I can get into BIOS!!

So it seems to be all good at my end

Thanks everyone for your help :)

phdnguyen

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Ok, so when I up the voltage and then put in the 2nd RAM stick - doesnt work.

I take out the 2nd ram stick - and it works.

Seems like my motherboard doesnt like the 2nd stick, and upping the voltage has no effect.

Could it be a faulty RAM stick?
Is there anything else I could try?

rickypicky

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Swap the RAM sticks? In other words, take out the first RAM stick and put in just the second one. If that works, then its likely the RAM is good, but the mb doesn't like two RAM sticks (at least with your current BIOS settings.

phdnguyen

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I already tried that and it just doesnt like that particular RAM stick.

Also, I connect the hard drive - loads ok. Turn off computer. Connect CD Drive aswell (so now everything is connected - apart from that RAM Stick which doesnt seem to work) and then I have the problem at the beginning where it's stuck on the LOGO screen.

:(

phdnguyen

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Update: I have got everything working now, except for one RAM stick.

If I put that RAM stick in with the working one aswell, it gets stuck on the LOGO screen. If I take out the working one, and put in the dodgey one, it also gets stuck on the LOGO screen.

Is there anything I could try?
Thanks

wtfchuck

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Upping the DIMM voltage to + 3.5? Run "memtest". And next time you get in to the BIOS turn off the logo show.

Try upping the (G)MCH and the FSB Voltage by +0.1 Volt.

If that works try backing off by 0.05 Volts, or Try one @ the +0.1, then the other. Use lowest that works (Assuming the +0.1 for both worked.)

Have 965DQ with 4 gigs @ Bus = 400 and 1 to 1 ratio. Had too raise both for stability.

califmike2003

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Im running the same board with 4 gigs of 1066 no problems. Do you have the latest bios ? what bios are you running ? im running f10, you probally have f6 if you havent updated it. Disable the logo screen in the bios so you dont have to see it anymore. Go to gigabytes website and get the f10 bios, it improves memory performance, and other things.