gtx 280 full screen movie problem

thegibbler

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
when i watch anything wehter is a video from the web or a movie that i have in full screen it will work for about 5 minutes then the picture looks really funny then it crashes my system

thanks for any help

thegibbler

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
evga780i motherboard and evga gtx 280 and i have the q9450 proc. lol how do i do what that guys said like how do i clear my cmos and that stuff lol

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
goto evga.com->community->message boards->780i

There is likely a motherboard BIOS update which will fix your problem - follow the instructions and make sure you do it correctly or you may cause damage to your motherboard.

I use a 750I - and the fix was as simple as downloading the bootable bios, burning it to a cd, entering my bios settings and enabling my cdrom as the first boot device, then rebooting and following the on-screen instructions. I haven't had a video corruption since then.

If you are truly lost at this point, i'd recommend you either do more research or take it to a professional and pay them to do it for you.

Just to clarify, this is likely an nvidia motherboard chipset (780I) problem - unlikely that the graphics card is the issue, as nvidia motherboards are known for having these types of issues. If you ask evga support to give you instructions they will, or if this is not a known issue for the 780I they will forward it to QA to work on it.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I was just reading evga's forum and it looks like the 780i has a lot of issues related to video corruption that still haven't been resolved. Although many users don't have any issues - apparently a lot do and a fix is still in the works.

If you use your PC as your primary way of watching movies - i'd be inclined to suggest you return the motherboard; or test another graphics card if you have one just to be 100% sure its not the graphics card causing this problem (although it is likely the motherboard from everything i've read in the last 10 minutes on their site.)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Though PureCinema has gotten better over the last couple of years, Nvidia still engineers their cards and motherboards for gaming performance and not video.

For anyone who wants Nvidia gaming performance, but needs to watch movies on the PC, I'd recommend a separate HTPC with a cheap 780G board and a 3650. ATI's been doing video on the PC right since the AIW Radeon 8500 days. Their motherboards, cards and AVIVO software is engineered for that as much as for games.

Note that I'm not trying to be a fanboy and recommending people ditch Nvidia for games, if that's what they prefer. Only that having two PC's for different uses is not such a bad idea, and that Nvidia's emphasis has never been movies or video on the PC.

thegibbler

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
ok thanks for alll the help and i got memtest to run it didnt find anything and i will be sure to try the other soulutions
thanks allot!

thegibbler

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
hi all i had to do was update my bios and that fixed it ........ tehn it messed with my sound but i fixed that to

thanks for the help