Network Guys are Stuck In The 90's

Orac

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Yes, I said it and stand by it.
Every network guy I talk to about setting up a Ubuntu file server with ftp and video streaming, etc. says my old 450mhz K6 Amd 6GB HD 192mb ram PC will do. Also the network guys online articles spout the same "Smashing Pumpkins Forever" bs. Some say even a P2 133mhz will do. Jeez.
Use that old of a pc, I'm not buying it. My current daily desktop P4 3.0Ghz 180GB HD 3Gb ram HP yes, but my old Win98 pc which was high state of the art in 1998 ten, no, eleven years ago, no way. I got the P4 rig because the Win98 pc could barely handle web surfing. I mean the internet and software in 2004 wasn't the same as the internet & such in 1999, let alone today 2009 with HiDef videos, 3 ad videos on some websites, hi res graphics on a website, 5.1 sound, multitasking 8 programs, cpu hogging antivirus, yada yada. Also Win XP with it's 3 service packs, IE7, etc.
Put in a 500GB HD to store my videos and I think the K6 would choke at some point. Not the Ubuntu OS but, the mobo fsb bandwidth and CPU pegged at 100% when 3 separate movies/videos are being watched at once.
Sure all the 1998 pc is going to do is send my stuff to somewhere else and rarely 3 videos at once will be watched but, why risk maxing out an older machine when a current basic system (2.2Ghz, 80GB HD, 2GB ram) can be done for..$100?. That's like saying a 1998 car is good enough to get to work and shopping. Yeah, if it has a hi-out V6 or V8 and lots of options to keep your sanity, your kids are the same size, needs are the same, etc. Most from that 90's era, (cars and pc's), seem Amish even by today's "close out special" pc's and "$500 down" autos.
Should I even remotely consider the K6 pc? Yes, if I was unemployed, which I'm not. The Win98 pc goes to Salvation Army who can give it to someone who really needs a pc, (stuck in the 90's be damned).
One network guy (after much grilling about what he uses - AM2 5400) said my P4 rig would be better if I decided to add a website with some of my photos & videos, also much more cpu, memory and fsb headroom.
So why not use my P4 as a server and build a new 4 core rig as my daily desktop? Hmm...done. Specs being determined, prices gathered, parts to be ordered,...

ozarkamax

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
the network operates independantly of the machines on it.

a file server does not need to decode a stream. it merely transmits the data that the host then decodes. so a host definately would benefit from processor horsepower, but a dedicated file server would transmit data just as fast as any machine. file servers are more about space and storage. the only thing you may consider is upgrading the nic on the file server to support larger bandwidth.