Windows XP Workgroup Networking Questions

August 23, 2005 2:37:39 AM

Hi
After a bit of advise or pointer of the right group to post this messgae

I have a small network which is all XP home or pro machines

I have created a designated machine as a server and set up peer to peer
workgroup networking.

I have a couple of questions

1) Can i enable a way of roaming profiles on this type of network ?

2) I have created all the user on the server is there a way of getting
to take the permission off the server computer or will every user have to
added to each machine they login as they do not have a designated computer
or is there a way with access the designated servers users list

I need to do this to basically create a map drive to user space on
server to try and save document there

If there is better type of login in software which could login to the
server computer to get the access from there or other possible solutions

3) I need to provide an email client or a freeware server to get email
based on the user they have logged in I would like the datas to be stored on
the server machine for the basis of backup and roaming.

Many thanks

Nick
August 23, 2005 2:37:40 AM

remove all spaces wrote:

See comments inline:

> I have a small network which is all XP home or pro machines
>
> I have created a designated machine as a server and set up peer to
> peer workgroup networking.
>
> I have a couple of questions
>
> 1) Can i enable a way of roaming profiles on this type of network
> ?
No. You need a real server operating system, not just an XP Pro box
called a server.

> 2) I have created all the user on the server is there a way of
> getting
> to take the permission off the server computer or will every user have
> to added to each machine they login as they do not have a designated
> computer or is there a way with access the designated servers users
> list

I'm really not understanding what you're asking here. If you want to
save your users documents on the "server" instead of locally on their
machines - a very good idea, BTW - you will need to create user
accounts and passwords for all of these people on the "server". Then on
each workstation, create a shortcut to the person's folder on the
"server". You can set MS Office programs to save to the "server" folder
instead of locally.

> I need to do this to basically create a map drive to user
> space on
> server to try and save document there

You don't need to map a drive - just create a shortcut to the Save
folder on the workstation's desktop.

> If there is better type of login in software which could login to
> the
> server computer to get the access from there or other possible
> solutions

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the above question at all.

> 3) I need to provide an email client or a freeware server to get
> email
> based on the user they have logged in I would like the datas to be
> stored on the server machine for the basis of backup and roaming.

Nick, what you really need is:

1. A real server with a real server operating system, possibly Small
Business Server which IIRC has Exchange for mail.

2. Set up a domain so you can manage the workstations centrally.

3. Replace/upgrade any XP Home boxen with Pro because Home can't join a
domain.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Nick Calladine" wrote:

> Hi
> After a bit of advise or pointer of the right group to post this messgae
>
> I have a small network which is all XP home or pro machines
>
> I have created a designated machine as a server and set up peer to peer
> workgroup networking.
>
> I have a couple of questions
>
> 1) Can i enable a way of roaming profiles on this type of network ?
>
> 2) I have created all the user on the server is there a way of getting
> to take the permission off the server computer or will every user have to
> added to each machine they login as they do not have a designated computer
> or is there a way with access the designated servers users list
>
> I need to do this to basically create a map drive to user space on
> server to try and save document there
>
> If there is better type of login in software which could login to the
> server computer to get the access from there or other possible solutions
>
> 3) I need to provide an email client or a freeware server to get email
> based on the user they have logged in I would like the datas to be stored on
> the server machine for the basis of backup and roaming.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Nick

Nick,
Everything you are attempting to do, with the exception of redirecting a
folder, requires an actual client server network. You would need an actual
server os to accomplish the other tasks, not an XP machine "acting" as a
server. It would require you to create a domain and therefore upgrade the XP
Home machines to XP Pro as Home is not designed for and can not join a
domain. The domain approach allows you to centrally manage pretty much
anything you can think of.
August 23, 2005 8:35:02 PM

Once you have the actual client server network up It is possible to map a
drive for each user during the login script which is what our organisation
does anyway.
Each user has their own personal drive which is a folder mapped off the file
server

"Crash Override, MCP" wrote:

> "Nick Calladine" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > After a bit of advise or pointer of the right group to post this messgae
> >
> > I have a small network which is all XP home or pro machines
> >
> > I have created a designated machine as a server and set up peer to peer
> > workgroup networking.
> >
> > I have a couple of questions
> >
> > 1) Can i enable a way of roaming profiles on this type of network ?
> >
> > 2) I have created all the user on the server is there a way of getting
> > to take the permission off the server computer or will every user have to
> > added to each machine they login as they do not have a designated computer
> > or is there a way with access the designated servers users list
> >
> > I need to do this to basically create a map drive to user space on
> > server to try and save document there
> >
> > If there is better type of login in software which could login to the
> > server computer to get the access from there or other possible solutions
> >
> > 3) I need to provide an email client or a freeware server to get email
> > based on the user they have logged in I would like the datas to be stored on
> > the server machine for the basis of backup and roaming.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Nick
> >

> Nick,
> Everything you are attempting to do, with the exception of redirecting a
> folder, requires an actual client server network. You would need an actual
> server os to accomplish the other tasks, not an XP machine "acting" as a
> server. It would require you to create a domain and therefore upgrade the XP
> Home machines to XP Pro as Home is not designed for and can not join a
> domain. The domain approach allows you to centrally manage pretty much
> anything you can think of.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:08:04 AM

Right. The old Home Directory mapping. Our Enterprise admins (or what we
real admins call admin wannabes), usually map H: to a file server but always
seem to forget to map it to the correct directory. It should go
\\servername\sharename\userid, they usually put \\servername\sharename and
leave it at that. Go figure, they created the userid so they should know the
correct path. Then, they have the nerve to charge the program area $$ for us
real admins to tell them how to fix it.
--
Regards,

!