System stops

I am running Win XP Pro and at times the mouse or system just stops, you can
not move pointer and keys do not respond, and you have to reboot. I have
checked for virsuses and found none, ran latest from Micorsoft to find
latest virus and found none. Does any one have any ideas

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model VT8601
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~930 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 5/15/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 266.99 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.20 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
3 answers Last reply
More about system stops

    KENNETH M LONG wrote:
    > I am running Win XP Pro and at times the mouse or system just stops,
    > you can not move pointer and keys do not respond, and you have to
    > reboot. I have checked for virsuses and found none, ran latest from
    > Micorsoft to find latest virus and found none. Does any one have any
    > ideas
    <snipped>

    Try these troubleshooting steps.

    Go to Start/Run and type eventvwr.msc and press OK. In the Event Viewer, click on Applications and then System in the menu and look for any red "X" error messages that coincide with the time the error occured. Double click the error message to see the details. At the top/right of the details dialog box, click the small icon that looks like 2 text pages to copy the error message and paste the message back here in a reply to this post.

    Go to Start/Run and type msinfo32 and press OK. Click Components/Problem Devices to check for possible hardware problems.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10005
    Date: 8/22/2005
    Time: 7:11:13 PM
    User: KEN-OVIG83CBV4V\Ken
    Computer: KEN-OVIG83CBV4V
    DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the
    service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

    KENNETH M LONG wrote:
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: DCOM
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 10005
    > Date: 8/22/2005
    > Time: 7:11:13 PM
    > User: KEN-OVIG83CBV4V\Ken
    > Computer: KEN-OVIG83CBV4V
    > DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start
    > the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    > {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

    I would recommend disabling the DCOM service. Go to Start / Run and type services.msc and press OK. Find the "DCOM Server Process Launcher" in the list and double click it. In the Startup type menu, select Disabled. Exit and reboot the system.

    Reference:

    DCOM Windows XP Do You Need It?
    http://www.updatexp.com/dcom-windows-xp.html

    How to disable DCOM support in Windows: