Hard Drive failures after Windows 7 Install

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I had a 250 GB harddrive with two partitions, XP 32 on one and windows 7 beta on other. I did the digitalriver thing and got my 7 pro 64. I opened it in 7 beta, but accidently wrote over my xp rather than my 7 install. No big deal, it saved all my files and it seemed to be working fine for about a week. I reformatted the 7 beta partition. Then I got a blue screen of death one day. Tried to restart and got the "A disc read error occured: Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart" in my boot screen. I disconnected the power from my pc and plugged it back in and started. It came on and got to windows and was workign, but I have been getting random crashes and getting that message in my boot screen rather often lately.

I am downloading the iso file from digital river right now to make a boot disc since they fail at shipping out the one i ordered. I am just going to reinstall and get rid of the partitions all together, do a clean install. Is this worth it, or is my drive toast?

Hopefully when I do that, everything will be fine.

If not, are there any suggestions for a good cheap fast drive? Just need it for a boot drive, 250 probably plenty big, I have another storage drive with everything on it.

Thx

Z

Solution
The clean install should clear that up. The OS probably doesn't like that it used to have the other OS there and now it doesn't. Maybe the boot sector didn't update properly, but that clean install should fix all your worries.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
The clean install should clear that up. The OS probably doesn't like that it used to have the other OS there and now it doesn't. Maybe the boot sector didn't update properly, but that clean install should fix all your worries.

Solution

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

The digitalriver download is a known issue. A fix has been added via a new iso file. Theres considerably info about this problem on the internet that isn't hard to find. If I were you I'd make sure I had the latest released iso, reformat my hard drive and try again. If all else fails newegg.com is a good place to find computer related hardware.

http://gizmodo.com/5391268/microsoft-fixes-windows-7-student-edition-digital-river-upgrade-problems