Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Move page file to slower drive?

Last response: in Windows XP
November 4, 2010 7:32:09 PM

Hey.

This may sound like a stupid question to some, but I haven't really been able to find a definite answer...

I just bought an 80GB sata drive.

I'm replacing my old 120GB IDE drive with the 80GB sata for my OS installation, and just going to use the 120GB drive for backup and such.

I was wondering if I should move my page file to the 120GB drive, even though it operates slower?

Would I notice a difference in performance?

Thanks!

Best solution

November 4, 2010 7:45:37 PM

ashleypower said:
Hey.

This may sound like a stupid question to some, but I haven't really been able to find a definite answer...

I just bought an 80GB sata drive.

I'm replacing my old 120GB IDE drive with the 80GB sata for my OS installation, and just going to use the 120GB drive for backup and such.

I was wondering if I should move my page file to the 120GB drive, even though it operates slower?

Would I notice a difference in performance?

Thanks!

It's not a stupid question - there's no such thing. The stupid folks are those who don't ask questions. :D 

You may notice a better performance but it depends where on that drive the swapfile is positioned. Put it on there now and it will mix in and fragment amongst all the other fragments which are already there. If you defragment the drive first then wipe the free space using, say, CCleaner from http://www.piriform.com, you will have a better chance of improving speeds but there's really no substitute for increasing RAM.

November 4, 2010 8:38:45 PM

Well, I have 32 bit XP Pro, with 3GB of ram...I guess that should be enough!

I was just wondering if there was a HUGE improvement in performance.

I'm formatting the drive right now, so I guess I'll just try it out, see for myself!

Thanks for the reply!
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2010 8:40:21 PM

PS - so it doesn't matter that I'll be putting it on a slower drive?
m
l
November 5, 2010 6:09:29 AM

ashleypower said:
PS - so it doesn't matter that I'll be putting it on a slower drive?

[#0005ff]You'd have to look at a lot of benchmarking data to calculate how many nano-seconds you'll save in a year. :D  My hard disks spin at over twice the speed of my previous 7,200 rpm drives but I've yet to save enough time to have a decent lunch break. [/#000ff]
m
l
November 12, 2010 1:05:44 PM

Best answer selected by ashleypower.
m
l
!