bimmerbill

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Hello all, I'm going to cancel my high def extended cable with DVR to save some money and will get basic cable. I have a 939 socket PC with PCI that I want to set up as a basic DVR to record TV shows off of basic cable (the kid needs her dose of Sesame street!).

What should I be looking at getting? Will one of the All in Wonder cards work? Or do I need a cable tuner card, and a new video card?

Thanks!

Wolfshadw

Titan
I doubt you're going to find a Digital signal (ATSC) capable PCI All-In-Wonder card. If you meant PCI-E, then sure.

Basically, you're looking for a PCI TV Tuner card with both NTSC (analog for now) and ATSC (digital for after the conversion) signals. Since you're switching back to basic cable, there no real reason for a card with QAM (unless this is a temporary move).

What is your current graphics card?

-Wolf sends

bimmerbill

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Current graphics card is AGP, Ti 4600. Pretty old...

I have two new PCs I just built, an E8400 and E6300 which are probably better suited for HTPC but I have one set up in the office and one in the kitchen for general PC use.

If I can use the old 939 system as a glorified VCR that would be cool. I can make DVDs and encode on my other two PCs, this one would be just to record cable shows (non HD) and playback DVDs and MPEG movies.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The only AGP All-In-Wonder card I know of (off the top of my head) is the ATI A-I-W 9800Pro. Unfortunately, it only accepts an NTSC signal. Not much use after Feb of next year.

Given that, I'd go out and get a PCI TV Tuner card. See how well it works with your current graphics card. If you feel you need to update your graphics, do it later.

For what it's worth, I've got the ATI A-I-W X1800XL (PCI-E) in my s939 X2-3800+ and it works fine (in XP).

-Wolf sends

bimmerbill

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I'm running an Athlon 2700+ so I'm not sure it will work...
I guess I could get a tuner for my E8400 system and run composite cables up to the TV (along with a USB remote).

ZarkY

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
ATI still hass hd 2600 and now 3800 series AGP Cards, might be worth a look, as they have UVD (Unloaded Video Deco-er sumptin').