Did a BIOS update just kill my motherboard?

ohuraman

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I've had an ASUS Striker II Formula for about 3-4 weeks now and tried to update the BIOS about half an hour ago. It was the first time I had done it with this motherboard, so using the EZ Flash 2 utility in the BIOS I attempted to update to 1602.

Everything appeared to go well. Got to the end of the process and I was told the computer would reboot in 5 seconds. I went to get a drink, came back a minute later and now after trying to turn it on I get no signal to the monitor. No POST or anything.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is this recoverable?

2) If not, would this be eligible for an RMA? Keep in mind that I followed every step in the manual to the letter.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
It's likely corrupt. When you use a utility to flash in Windows instead of doing it the old fashioned way, there is always a small chance of random corruption.

If the board has dual bios, the backup should kick in. Although if I remember correctly, Asus don't support it, only Gigabyte.

Or if the bios chip isn't soldered on, and use a socket, you can order a replacement bios from manufacturer and put it in.

Or you can just rma it and tell them it just stopped work out of the blue. There is no way for them to prove any tempering. Although you should be a good boy and tell them the truth so they can void your warranty. :na: