Activation (again)

Well Microsoft is going to charge me $84 for one additional licence so that
I can have XP upgrade on both my laptop and my desktop, I might as well just
go to the computer store and buy another upgrade and save myself $5!

If I call MS and ask to have my upgrade moved to a different computer, how
will they know that I haven't uninstalled it from the first computer? Will
the first computer that it was installed on, just miraculously quit working,
after they give me a new key (if that's how they do it) & activate? I'm not
saying that's what I'm going to do, I guess it won't be so bad going back to
Win'98 on my old laptop, I'm just curious!

Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about activation again

    You need to purchase a new Windows XP license for each
    installation on a different computer. You cannot use the
    same license (Product Key) if you install on different PCs.

    Please read your End-User License Agreement by going
    to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then
    click on "End-User License Agreement".

    From the Windows XP EULA:

    1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
    display and run one copy of the Software on a single
    computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other
    device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not
    be used by more than two (2) processors at any one
    time on any single Workstation Computer.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Lunaray" wrote:

    | Well Microsoft is going to charge me $84 for one additional licence so that
    | I can have XP upgrade on both my laptop and my desktop, I might as well just
    | go to the computer store and buy another upgrade and save myself $5!
    |
    | If I call MS and ask to have my upgrade moved to a different computer, how
    | will they know that I haven't uninstalled it from the first computer? Will
    | the first computer that it was installed on, just miraculously quit working,
    | after they give me a new key (if that's how they do it) & activate? I'm not
    | saying that's what I'm going to do, I guess it won't be so bad going back to
    | Win'98 on my old laptop, I'm just curious!
    |
    | Thanks!

    Hi,

    They won't know that you haven't removed it. If it's a retail disk and you
    tell them you are moving it to a new system, you should be provided with a
    new activation code (this has to be phoned in). There is nothing in place to
    fully determine that you have complied with the agreement to remove it from
    the first system. And, actually, if you wait 120 days, the second
    installation will probably activate normally as the activation servers are
    reset.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >They won't know that you haven't removed it. If it's a retail disk and you
    >tell them you are moving it to a new system, you should be provided with a
    >new activation code (this has to be phoned in). There is nothing in place to
    >fully determine that you have complied with the agreement to remove it from
    >the first system. And, actually, if you wait 120 days, the second
    >installation will probably activate normally as the activation servers are
    >reset.

    You will, however, be in deep dark doggy-doo if you have to reinstall
    the XP on the first computer for any reason.

    And the new validation process for Windows Updates may catch up with
    you even before then.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Ron Martell" wrote:
    > "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" wrote:
    >>They won't know that you haven't removed it. If it's a retail disk and you
    >>tell them you are moving it to a new system, you should be provided with a
    >>new activation code (this has to be phoned in). There is nothing in place to
    >>fully determine that you have complied with the agreement to remove it from
    >>the first system. And, actually, if you wait 120 days, the second
    >>installation will probably activate normally as the activation servers are
    >>reset.
    >

    > You will, however, be in deep dark doggy-doo if you have to reinstall
    > the XP on the first computer for any reason.
    >
    > And the new validation process for Windows Updates may catch up
    > with you even before then.

    How would the Windows Update validation process know
    if it's residing in the original OS or in a clone of it?

    *TimDaniels*

    Lunaray wrote:

    > Well Microsoft is going to charge me $84 for one additional licence
    > so that I can have XP upgrade on both my laptop and my desktop, I
    > might as well just go to the computer store and buy another upgrade
    > and save myself $5!

    Yes, as I and others have often pointed out here, buying a second license
    from Microsoft is unfortunately not a good deal. You can do better by
    yourself.

    > If I call MS and ask to have my upgrade moved to a different
    > computer, how will they know that I haven't uninstalled it from the
    > first computer?

    They won't know. They trust you to tell the truth. Widnows Product
    Activation is not an iron-clad scheme that prevents you from violating the
    llicensing rules. It still relies on you to follow the rules. It's meant to
    discourage casual piracy, and can't absolutely prevent it. WPA is a pretty
    easy scheme for most of us to live with, and hardly inconveniences us at
    all. If it were to be much more secure, it would undoutedly inconvenience
    all of us much more.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    > How would the Windows Update validation process know
    > if it's residing in the original OS or in a clone of it?
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    Not sure if it would. There is scant information available as yet as
    to the internal workings of the validation process.

    But as I understand it when there are two or more installs using the
    same product key the first one to validate will go through okay and
    the others will be in difficulty.

    > "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>They won't know that you haven't removed it. If it's a retail disk and you
    >>tell them you are moving it to a new system, you should be provided with a
    >>new activation code (this has to be phoned in). There is nothing in place
    >>fully determine that you have complied with the agreement to remove it
    >>from
    >>the first system. And, actually, if you wait 120 days, the second
    >>installation will probably activate normally as the activation servers are
    >>reset.
    >

    > You will, however, be in deep dark doggy-doo if you have to reinstall
    > the XP on the first computer for any reason.
    >
    > And the new validation process for Windows Updates may catch up with
    > you even before then.

    Doesn't seem to wanna work for me anyways. Can't seem to find what's
    stopping it's Validation ActiveX control from running after it's dl'd.

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service