Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 on s s d

Last response: in Windows 7
September 1, 2011 5:33:20 PM

Hi,
I just installed windows 7 and video editing software on ocz 120 gigabytes ssd. after installation windows reports only 55 gigabytes of free space on ssd. what did I do wrong?

More about : windows

September 1, 2011 5:44:04 PM

what video software? what version of windows?
windows install can eat 30-40 gigs,, + whatever software,,
the main thing you want to look at is how big your SSD is in total,, if it's reading 100-114 GB, that's about right for 120 GB SSD depending on your model and manufacturing process
SSD's aren't typically going to be used for storage, just programs & OS,, just make sure to store everything on a HDD.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:55:58 PM

Keep in mind that Windows reads 1 kb as 1024 instead of the 1000 that most drive manufacturers use. This can make it seem like your drive is alot smaller then it actually is in windows.
Score
Related resources
September 1, 2011 5:58:29 PM

^^that's why I said if your grand total formatted drive reads between 100-114 GB, nothing is wrong

i forgot to mention to make sure ACHI is enabled in your BIOS,, it won't pertain to this issue, but if you don't have it enabled you are missing out on features such as TRIM, you may just want to reinstall windows now to fix that. (i find it easier to just reinstall rather than go through the process of fixing it,, only takes 10-20 mins to redo windows on a SSD)

Also, make sure only the ssd is attached and all hdd's are detached while doing install.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:03:35 PM

Right click on "Computer" from the start menu and hit "Manage" select Disk Management on the left and see what it shows up as there. Maybe you partitioned it during the install or something like that, it will probably have 2 partitions one being about 100meg and the other having the rest of the drive, in which case you're just using that much space.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:50:27 PM

It is common for a full Windows install + apps to take a lot of space, and that includes space reserved for the page file. If you have a laptop it may have reserved space for the sleep file as well. There are articles on the net about tweaking SSD's that tell you how to get rid of some of these things. I've noticed that my 2 laptops have about 70-80GB used and this is without any space hungry apps installed. I have wanted to switch these to SSD's in which case I would have to figure out how to delete some stuff before cloning to an SSD.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2011 1:27:01 PM

Could be temp files from your video editing work.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2011 1:51:01 PM

Look at "tweeks for SSDs" - google is your friend
Don't sweat the "performance" tweeks as some decrease performance, look more at the ones that decrease space such as:
- Hibernation will eat up up to an amount of RAM - Disable it
- Vitual memory can eat up upto 6 Gigs. I always change this to Custom size and set the Min max to the same value. If you have 8 gigs, set the Min and max to 512 megs. If you only have 4 gigs, try 1024 for min max. You can set this to a HDD and set your C drive to NONE (Small performance hit) BUT also for video editing would recommend going to 8 gigs of RAM.
- Restore points: Manage it. each restore point will take about 300 mb, but can grow to upto 15% of Disk space.
- Maybe redirect "My doc" and temp folders to a HDD

DON'T Forget you want to leave a min of 10->15% free on the SSD so that CG and TRIM can do there thing.
Score
September 2, 2011 4:45:46 PM

Thank you all for your replies and help.
I guess I failed to mention that install was done on Sony vaio laptop, using recovery disks.
Install created 3 partitions on ssd: 10gig one with recovery files on it (it looks like it is system protected since I can't do anything with it), 100MB system reserved and 100cic for OS and everything else. Bios in vaio laptops is very limited, so I do not know if I could make any changes during or prior to install. I do have 8 gig of RA, and I will definitely make suggested tweeks to increase free space and performance. My confusion about free disk space started with extremely and unusually long install process, which lasted for over 2 hours(I did it twice, and both times it took over 2 hours). Any thoughts on this?

Again, your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2011 5:36:26 PM

If you did a transfer for HDD -> SSD, that could be a problem. Not sure just how the recovery disk for sony works. If it first checks the medium (SSD vs HDD) and does a Install of windows based on the type then proceds to load drivers and programs it should be OK. If it just assumes a HDD and installs accordingly could be a problem.

The first thing I would do is download and run AS SSD - DO NOT need to run the benchmark.
Look at upper left and verify that the SSD is using the correct dirver. Probably iastor (for an intel System) or msahci. it should also indicate OK. Also verify that it states that the partition alignment is OK.

What I did for my two laptops. In stead of using the "supplied recovery disk", I used one of my own windows 7 installation disks and did a custom install. If you go this route first delete all partitions. DO NOT insert the Windows Key. You will lose the "Recovery Partition" - But no biggy, and end up with the 100 mb partition and your C drive. Let windows do it's updates, drivers and re-install programs. If happy, then activate using your SONY key. Now create your OWN recovery disk. Under windows control panel select back up and back up your c drive (it also backs up the 100 mb partition). You can sore this image file on a USB HDD, or on 3->5 DVDs. Optional, create a recovery/rescue disk - Do Not need to if you have access to a windows 7 installation disk.
NOTE: Advantages. If you need to restore, it will also restore all of the programs YOU installed, not just the sony programs (If like mine also all the Bloatware) and it will restore ALL the programs that you installed.
Score
September 2, 2011 5:48:27 PM

It was in fact recovery disk created from original HDD shipped with Sony. I did download AS SSD and verified iastor working properly. I am not sure how to check for partition alignment. Please help.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2011 5:50:15 PM

On AS SSD, about 2 or 3 lines down from the driver it should show partition alignment info and if good should show a green OK.

Have you verified that trim was enabled. NOTE this just shows enabled or disabled, NOT that it is working properly.
Score
September 2, 2011 6:20:26 PM

It looks like it is ok. I did verified trim being enabeled through registry. Here is a AS SSD snapshoot

AS SSD Benchmark 1.6.4237.30508
------------------------------
Name: OCZ-AGILITY3
Firmware: 2.11
Controller: iaStor
Offset: 10352640 K - OK
Size: 111.79 GB
Date: 9/2/2011 1:19:52 PM
Sequential:
Read: 200.93 MB/s
Write: 101.17 MB/s
4K:
Read: 8.87 MB/s
Write: 19.30 MB/s
4K-64Threads:
Read: 91.96 MB/s
Write: 96.02 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0.306 ms
Write: 0.532 ms
Score:
Read: 121
Write: 125
Total: 306
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2011 8:24:12 PM

OUCH, AS SSD indicates coorect driver and alignment and the latest firmware.
Performance is below par.

First. I also bought the agility II (2 of them). One was for my I5-2500k desktop and the 2nd was for My samsung RF711-s01 laptop. I tried everyway from sunday and could not get it to even load windows. It would complet the Install, but could not load windows after reboot. After visiting the OCZ form, I class the drive as a PLUG & PRAY and should have a lable stating BUYER BEWARE. I know that is not helpfull and the drive was good, currently using it as a 2nd SSD in the Desktop as a fast data drive. I'll have to check but I believe my overall score was like mid 400s (AND I consider that substandard) compared to your 306, Reason for my OUCH.

A little History Starting with firmware 2.02, Mucho problems, 2.06 improved 2.08 Helped some, beta 2.09 helped some more, but cut performance for thoes that it did help. 2.11 Again cut some of the problems and still has a reduced performance for many - NOT a REAL FIX. I still have 2.06 and hoping that 2.12 + fixes it.
My fix for my laptop was to replace with a Crucial M4 - Worked great and added a 2nd one, scores in the low 700s.

In your case the first thing I would do is hop over to the OCZ forum and download the OCZ toolbox. I would then do a secure erease and start over. NOTE READ UP on these. You will need to delete all partitions to preform a secure erease. What I did was to delete all partitions (Used windows Installation Disk and selected custom Install. I then connected the SSD to a SATA II port on My backup I5-750. and ran the toolbox from that computer. The also have (their Preferred method) a ISO linix Boot disk.
September 5, 2011 4:24:15 PM

Thanks for your help.
Score
September 9, 2011 11:26:40 PM

RetiredChief said:
OUCH, AS SSD indicates coorect driver and alignment and the latest firmware.
Performance is below par.

First. I also bought the agility II (2 of them). One was for my I5-2500k desktop and the 2nd was for My samsung RF711-s01 laptop. I tried everyway from sunday and could not get it to even load windows. It would complet the Install, but could not load windows after reboot. After visiting the OCZ form, I class the drive as a PLUG & PRAY and should have a lable stating BUYER BEWARE. I know that is not helpfull and the drive was good, currently using it as a 2nd SSD in the Desktop as a fast data drive. I'll have to check but I believe my overall score was like mid 400s (AND I consider that substandard) compared to your 306, Reason for my OUCH.

A little History Starting with firmware 2.02, Mucho problems, 2.06 improved 2.08 Helped some, beta 2.09 helped some more, but cut performance for thoes that it did help. 2.11 Again cut some of the problems and still has a reduced performance for many - NOT a REAL FIX. I still have 2.06 and hoping that 2.12 + fixes it.
My fix for my laptop was to replace with a Crucial M4 - Worked great and added a 2nd one, scores in the low 700s.

In your case the first thing I would do is hop over to the OCZ forum and download the OCZ toolbox. I would then do a secure erease and start over. NOTE READ UP on these. You will need to delete all partitions to preform a secure erease. What I did was to delete all partitions (Used windows Installation Disk and selected custom Install. I then connected the SSD to a SATA II port on My backup I5-750. and ran the toolbox from that computer. The also have (their Preferred method) a ISO linix Boot disk.

I want to thank you for turning me on to CRUCIAL M4 SSD(I exanged agility 3 for M4). WHAT A HUGE DIFERENCE> My score went from 306 to 519 in AS SSD without using newest firmware(my drive is using version 0002, and the newest one is 0009). I can't wait to do firmware update, and test it again.

Thanks a lot
Score
September 9, 2011 11:27:15 PM

Best answer selected by ZZUBAK555.
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
October 18, 2011 12:18:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!