Sign in with
Your question

How to make PATA HDD to usb

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
November 5, 2010 3:51:44 AM

Hello,
I have a extra hard disk so without opening cpu i want to use the usb port. is there any way out so that i can use my HDD same like pen drive?

More about : make pata hdd usb

November 5, 2010 5:57:40 AM

install the HDD in a inclosre, not sure what size drive you have, best to use HDD out of a laptop, they sell on ebay, then its about the size of a wallet and powered by the USB.
m
l
November 5, 2010 6:13:05 AM

what model HDD do you have?
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2012 8:23:19 PM

Emerald said:
what model HDD do you have?

I have a PATA 2.5" drive. it runs off 5v, so i won't need external power. i don't want to buy an enclosure, so can i get some tips?
m
l
February 22, 2012 3:47:22 PM

cormac596 said:
I have a PATA 2.5" drive. it runs off 5v, so i won't need external power. i don't want to buy an enclosure, so can i get some tips?

You may not want to buy an enclosure but if you want to use the drive with USB, you will. How do you except to hook up the drive to the USB port without the right connections?

You can get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-30504-Serial-Adapter/dp... and you will need an external power that comes with it to run a ATA drive. I find that these products don't work as well as a full enclosure though. I've used it lots of times, and often the drive is not detected.
m
l
February 23, 2012 9:24:20 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You may not want to buy an enclosure but if you want to use the drive with USB, you will. How do you except to hook up the drive to the USB port without the right connections?

You can get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-30504-Serial-Adapter/dp... and you will need an external power that comes with it to run a ATA drive. I find that these products don't work as well as a full enclosure though. I've used it lots of times, and often the drive is not detected.

I was mostly thinking of scrounging together a few parts, throwing in some solder, and such, but i already bought an enclosure. thanks for the feedback! :hello:  BYE!
m
l
!