Core 2 Duo temps

Flatulenzia

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Just put together my new system. CPU is a C2D E8500, stock HSF with AS5. What kind of temperatures should I be seeing? I've downloaded SpeedFan and Real Temp. SpeedFan gives the idle temps as, on average:

CPU: 42-ish
Core 0: 52
Core 1: 45

Real Temp shows the cores at 43 for 0 and 35 fpr 1, on average.

Now I know there'll always be a discrepancy between monitoring programs, and that's not what I'm asking about. I'm wondering whether, judging by the overall picture of those two readings, the temps are too high. Shouldn't they all be in the 30s? I'm not overclocking.

omicron_15

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
My ambient temperature is around 80 deg f, I have my 8400 OC to 3.5Ghz, my temps are about 44 at idle with a xigmatek rifle. My cores are only about 1 to 2 deg C diffrent, but it seems there is a lot of varaiton in relative core temps.

Your temps could be a bit high, if your room is around 70 but if you arent planning on OC then there are well within normal operating perams.

The only temps to really worry about are your load temps, your idle is well within the safety zone.

omicron_15

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Speed fan and real temps will give you your temps anytime, you just need to put your system under load and then moniter what speed fan or whatever temp program you have.

Download and run prime95, that will put your cpu under 100% load then just have speed fan open and see what your temps go to.

Core temp is also a good temperature moniter program for your cpu. It gives me 4-5 deg higher reading then speedfan does, but its suposed to be more accurate.

Flatulenzia

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Ugh, I ran Orthos's stress test and Core 0 shot up to 70 after about 15 seconds. I stopped the test because that seems really, really hot. Thoughts? My ambient temperature is like 23.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Your CPU cooler most likely has a push pin which is not securely seated. You can check it by pressing down on each corner one at a time for about 30 seconds while in turn watching the temperature. When you see a signficant drop, then you've found your loose pin.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Those idle temps are too high. Did you use too much paste? You would have gotten lower temps with the stock preapplied gloop. No biggie however, you can always try again but remember push pins seem to get weaker every time they are reused.
The stock HSF that comes with wolfies is crap. Do yourself a favor and get a midrange or better aftermarket cooler. It's not hard to do better than the stock cooler.

Flatulenzia

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Man, the stock cooler really does blow---not just in cooling, but in installing as well. I think I sort of know what the problem is. The push pins on that HS are so awfully made and so hard to get in that I had to take it out several times to reseat it and get the pins to (sort of) stay put. And that must have messed up the paste layer.

So I will plan to get an aftermarket cooler.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I swore in every language I knew when installing a push pin cooler for the first time. After doing this several times little has changed. Why can't intel use a clip/lever retention like AM2 and many others before it? Those are so much easier to install it's funny.

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
The stock cooler works great on my friends E7200. Plenty cool and saved him a few bucks.

Just get a new cooler and some Arctic Silver, you will be Golden.