Sign in with
Your question

What's the point? Not many games for the best cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2008 3:44:35 PM

So I got a new Q9450 rig w/ 10k raptor and 4gb OCZ ram. The only thing I skimped on was the video card since I use it for work and still had a 7600 GS laying around.

I was thinking about upgrading to a 8800 GT or 9800 GX2, but thought, what's the point? What games are out there besides Crysis, and COH (both which don't appeal to me) that can really take advantage of a high end card. It seems the game publishers are opting to code for console platforms. The only game I consistently look forward to is Madden. And the 7600 is more than enough to run it well. Any thoughts?

example is GTA4. I may wait the 1-2 years until they port it to PC. Then pick up a card that is very good now, but mid pack by then.

More about : point games cards

July 18, 2008 3:52:49 PM

Simple, your system is heavily off-balance with a graphical bottleneck.

a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2008 3:55:55 PM

When I bought my old 1900xt512mb, it played all games out then too, and at max at my res, except Oblivion, which was close. You need to checl out the newer games, see if you like them or not, cause theres a few your 7600 couldnt dont well in, and more coming, since a few already challenge better cards than the 8800GT, making them playable only without max settings. If youre playing at low res, and if you dont care about things like AA or AF, I can see your point, thats if you know about the forthcoming games and dont want them as well, otherwise, I sense a bit of desire has gone from you and gaming
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2008 3:57:46 PM

?

There are tons of games that would benefit from an 8800GT or higher. I can hardly think of any recent popular ones a 7600GS would do well at, especially if you want high details, resolution, and/or fsaa.

Call of Duty 4, UT3, GRID, Oblivion, Lost Planet, even Test Drive Unlimited and Need for Speed Carbon & Pro street are example of games you would see a huge difference in going from your card.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2008 3:59:20 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
I sense a bit of desire has gone from you and gaming
That was my thought exactly. Gone, or was never really there.
July 18, 2008 4:01:45 PM

Depends on the Game.

If you like Games build around detailed graphics which many have been pointed out you need a better GPU.

If you buy a game that you really want to play and it does not play well, then upgrade.

Also note: Most games have a wide range of graphics quality settings. So you may buy a game, it will detect your card, and set it to settings that your card can handle but the eye candy will be greatly reduced.

Depends on what you want.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2008 4:04:17 PM

Lessee here:

Bioshock
Half Life 2 (crank up the AA, and it still demands a powerful graphics card)
Call of Duty 4
Age of Conan
Assassin's Creed
Unreal Tournament 3

The list could go on too. There are a lot of games that do demand the best cards for a full experience. If you don't play them, it is probably a waste to get the best card, as you said. It does seem kind of odd though that you would spend the money on 4 gigs of ram and a Q9450 though, as they aren't necessary for Madden (or similar games) either.
July 18, 2008 4:07:34 PM

Thinking...mmmmmmm

The 4850 is less than 200 ......after all your in pretty far as it is with that new gear you have.
This would even confuse Edison and Einstein Both at the same time.Congrats. :bounce: 
July 18, 2008 4:16:21 PM

I suppose your not a heavy gamer cause there are LOTS of good gaming titles out that benefit greatly from a good video card.

Even older titles like Oblivion really shine with a good 8800GT class or higher card.
July 18, 2008 4:24:15 PM

PC Games Out Now
Supreme Commander + Forged Alliance
Command & Conquer 3 + Kane's Wrath
World in Conflict
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Crysis
GRID
Call of Duty 4
Half-Life 2 series
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Age Of Conan
Sins of a Solar Empire
Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion
Gears of War
Halo 2
Company of Heroes
Assassin's Creed
Unreal Tournament 3

Upcoming PC Games
Starcraft 2
Diablo 3
World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Project Origin
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
Duke Nukem Forever (lol)
Dragon Age: Origins
Fable 2 (Unsure)
Left 4 Dead
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Unsure)
Crysis Warhead
Far Cry 2
Battlefield: Bad Company
Spore
Rise of the Argonaunts
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2
Warhammer Online
Mirror's Edge
STALKER: Clear Sky
PT Boats: Knights of the Sea
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Saints Row 2
Prince of Persia (the new one)
Rage
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

I'll think of more later.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2008 4:26:02 PM

Funny post. Stick with your card I guess. Next week (figuratively speaking) when a game comes out you like, order your new card.
a c 199 U Graphics card
July 18, 2008 4:26:09 PM

Seems to me that "...since I use it for work..." clearly explains the focus on CPU and RAM. I agree with Zenmaster though. If you buy a game and don't like how it plays, then upgrade. Otherwise, enjoy your rig for its intended purposes. What you already have suggests you will have no problem affording a nicer card when you want it.
A very practical upgrade for you might be an HD3850. You can find them for around $100-$110 now. Even if your interest is in video, that card will do much better than your 7600GS.
What brand and model of PSU did you get?
July 18, 2008 4:26:42 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
When I bought my old 1900xt512mb, it played all games out then too, and at max at my res, except Oblivion, which was close. You need to checl out the newer games, see if you like them or not, cause theres a few your 7600 couldnt dont well in, and more coming, since a few already challenge better cards than the 8800GT, making them playable only without max settings. If youre playing at low res, and if you dont care about things like AA or AF, I can see your point, thats if you know about the forthcoming games and dont want them as well, otherwise, I sense a bit of desire has gone from you and gaming

Yes, maybe you're right.
July 18, 2008 4:29:49 PM

Onus said:
Seems to me that "...since I use it for work..." clearly explains the focus on CPU and RAM. I agree with Zenmaster though. If you buy a game and don't like how it plays, then upgrade. Otherwise, enjoy your rig for its intended purposes. What you already have suggests you will have no problem affording a nicer card when you want it.
A very practical upgrade for you might be an HD3850. You can find them for around $100-$110 now. Even if your interest is in video, that card will do much better than your 7600GS.
What brand and model of PSU did you get?

Yes, my work requires heavy computing power, but not so much graphics ability.

I forgot to mention I have an EVGA 780i motherboard so am limited to Nvidia cards. I got the mobo to have the option of getting good graphics.

PSU = Apevia warlock 750w
July 18, 2008 4:32:10 PM

mathiasschnell said:
PC Games Out Now
Supreme Commander + Forged Alliance
Command & Conquer 3 + Kane's Wrath
World in Conflict
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Crysis
GRID
Call of Duty 4
Half-Life 2 series
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Age Of Conan
Sins of a Solar Empire
Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion
Gears of War
Halo 2
Company of Heroes
Assassin's Creed
Unreal Tournament 3

Upcoming PC Games
Starcraft 2
Diablo 3
World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Project Origin
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
Duke Nukem Forever (lol)
Dragon Age: Origins
Fable 2 (Unsure)
Left 4 Dead
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Unsure)
Crysis Warhead
Far Cry 2
Battlefield: Bad Company

I'll think of more later.

Good list, thank you.

I may wait until GTA4, which looks pretty good.
July 18, 2008 4:39:12 PM

I feel like I should point out that just because you have an EVGA Motherboard with an Nvidia chipset, this doesn't limit you to Nvidia cards unless you plan to do a multi-GPU setup in the future. If you're only ever going to run one card (which seems to be the case) you could put an ATI card in there with no trouble at all.
July 18, 2008 4:47:11 PM

andrewcc said:
I feel like I should point out that just because you have an EVGA Motherboard with an Nvidia chipset, this doesn't limit you to Nvidia cards unless you plan to do a multi-GPU setup in the future. If you're only ever going to run one card (which seems to be the case) you could put an ATI card in there with no trouble at all.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thank you. Is there a speed advantage to running a single Nvidia card w/ an Nvidia chipset?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2008 4:47:54 PM

your not limited to nvidia cards... just cause its an nforce motherboard doesn't mean it cant use a AMD card...

i recommend a 4850.... cheap... (150) and powerful
a c 199 U Graphics card
July 18, 2008 4:54:40 PM

Andrewcc beat me to it, but yes, you can run an ATI card without any trouble at all. Only a multi-card SLI setup (ATI's equivalent is called Crossfire) must use nVidia cards on that mobo; you can't run Crossfire on it.

Apevia PSUs are on tier-5 ("Do not buy") of the aging list at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon, BUT...
1. that is a model that was not out when the list was made
2. you aren't stressing it at all, nor would you be with an 8800GT.
While I would not have bought one, I don't feel the urge to tell you you're doomed to sparks and smoke if you don't replace it.
July 18, 2008 4:55:43 PM

bandit77 said:
Ah, I didn't know that. Thank you. Is there a speed advantage to running a single Nvidia card w/ an Nvidia chipset?

I'm pretty sure that this isn't the case.
July 18, 2008 4:59:49 PM

I agree with yadge......if you search the Tom's archives, I think there's an article or two they did, testing to see if matching a card to your chipset had a speed advantage. The conclusion, I believe, was that they did not.

Edit: Yeah, here's the link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/chipset-gpu-matchin...

July 18, 2008 5:20:21 PM

Onus said:
Andrewcc beat me to it, but yes, you can run an ATI card without any trouble at all. Only a multi-card SLI setup (ATI's equivalent is called Crossfire) must use nVidia cards on that mobo; you can't run Crossfire on it.

Apevia PSUs are on tier-5 ("Do not buy") of the aging list at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon, BUT...
1. that is a model that was not out when the list was made
2. you aren't stressing it at all, nor would you be with an 8800GT.
While I would not have bought one, I don't feel the urge to tell you you're doomed to sparks and smoke if you don't replace it.

that sucks. I ordered an Ultra lifetime 750 but Cyberpower swapped it for an Apevia. Maybe they ran out. What do you think of Ultra?
July 18, 2008 5:24:55 PM

bandit77 said:

I forgot to mention I have an EVGA 780i motherboard so am limited to Nvidia cards. I got the mobo to have the option of getting good graphics.

Thats a somewhat common mistake, you're limited to nvidia's SLI, but you can use both nvidia or ati cards, also there's no advantage in running a nvidia card on a nvidia chipset.

Also, about the topic in question, a 7600GS won't run GRID nor assasins creed, nor supreme commander, mass effect command & conquer 3... I could go on.

I'm already considering upgrading my 8800GT because it's showing some age, but I'm trying to hold on until prices drop some more, so there is a point in getting the latest card (well the one that offers the best value at least)
July 18, 2008 5:42:28 PM

it really is a personal taste thing. Sins of solar Empire and Halo 2 play smooth as silk on my 7800GTX. Once i am done with all DX9 games maybe I will upgrade. The way prices are falling it sorta like how far wil they go???????
July 18, 2008 5:57:27 PM

I totally agree with the original poster. EA has screwed PC gamers once again. I used to buy NBA Live every single year. They've canceled NBA Live, Madden, FIFA, NHL, MLB, for the PC. Even COD4 developers didn't sound too enthusiastic about releasing a sequel because of the rampant piracy.

I think these developers see a much larger profit margin from the consoles. It's such a crying shame because I have always hated consoles and think they're for illiterate adults with no technical skills whatsoever. Kind of like WebTV back then.
July 18, 2008 5:59:04 PM

there is major stuff slated for october/november !

fallout 3
project origin (f.e.a.r. 2)
and a bunch of others ! I cant remember the names of a couple others ..old age !

a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2008 6:03:36 PM

jwl3 said:
I totally agree with the original poster. EA has screwed PC gamers once again. I used to buy NBA Live every single year. They've canceled NBA Live, Madden, FIFA, NHL, MLB, for the PC. Even COD4 developers didn't sound too enthusiastic about releasing a sequel because of the rampant piracy.

I think these developers see a much larger profit margin from the consoles. It's such a crying shame because I have always hated consoles and think they're for illiterate adults with no technical skills whatsoever. Kind of like WebTV back then.

That is why unlike most, I actually like it when games take extra steps to try to prevent piracy (Steam, the activation required in FSX, that kind of thing). The more piracy there is, the fewer awesome games we get.
July 18, 2008 6:15:07 PM

bandit77 said:

Only limit that board will give you is that you cant use more then one ATI card, thats mean no CF, but as long as you use single card you can get any brand you wish.

About that 38xx gfx, i would skip that and go directly to 4850 or 4870 if dont mind spending more money.
4850 give much more performance compared to 38xx generation and price is not to much higher.
July 18, 2008 6:18:34 PM

jwl3 said:

Motherf*cking EA. I thought you were joking until I looked it up, Madden 09 only on consoles... the stupidification of Amerika continues unabated.
!