Change speed back to 1.8ghz

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hey, I have an EP board of gigabyte and the problem is I'm a newbie I'm in no way into overclocking. I was intending to change the processor speed back to 1.8ghz though on my E4300, I wanted the normal speed and it was at 1.2ghz (weird).

I accidentally changed the CPU central volt or something to 2.0, the computer didn't start and I tried over and over again no starting. I read my manual and it said I need to take out the battery jumper.

I did so and my comp worked again, still the processor was at 1.2, uhhh.. I though I had this energy saver thingy open and turned the wats it called something about mosfet or yeah something about CPU throttling. Boom! The processor is back at 1.8ghz.

My processor works fine but can the bios thing have caused damage? Even if the computer didn't boot or allow it to boot?

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Damn forum wont let me edit, tried 4 times now.

Anyways I though it was the mhz thing I edited but it seems it was volt, I wanted it to be 1.8 (1800mhz) but put it to 2000mhz but it was wrong option. :ange:

picard-facepalm

The CPU switching to 1.2Ghz when idle is 100% normal.
It is called speed step and when you start using your CPU, it will go back to 1.8Ghz.
Your CPU is probably fine but please do some research before changing settings in the BIOS.
If you want to be 100% sure, test your CPU with prime95http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

I know what speed step is, this wasn't speed step. The energy saver throttled the CPU thats why it went down to 1.2, there was not even any speed step thingy in the menu.

It was 1.2 24/7 and was very slower than after I changed the CPU throttling in energy saver.